Segu, or Segu-Sikoro, an important trading town of western Africa, stands on the Niger (here called the Joliba), 400 miles SW. of Timbuctoo; once the capital of a large native state, now practically French (1890). Pop. 36,000. See Gravier, Voyage d Segu (1887).
Seine-et-Mame (Sehn-ay-Marn), a dep. in the north of France, is bounded on the W. by the dep. of Seine-et-Oise, and forms a portion of that wide basin in the middle of which stands Paris. Area, 2214 sq. m.; pop. (1901) 355,638. The arrondissements are Melun (the capital), Coulom-miers, Fontainebleau, Meaux, and Provins.
Seine-et-Oise (Sehn-ay-Wahz), a dep. in the north of France, encloses the dep. of Seine. Area, 2163 sq. m.; pop. (1901) 700,405. Arrondissements; Versailles (the capital), Corbeil, Etampes, Mantes, Pontoise, and Rainbouillet.
Seine-Inferieure (Sehn-Angfayriehr'), a maritime dep. of northern France, part of Normandy, and bounded N. and W. by the English Channel. Area, 2330 sq. m.; pop. (1901) 843,928. The arrondissements are Dieppe, Havre, Rouen (the capital), Neufchatel, and Yvetot.
Seir, Mount. See Edom.
Seistan, Sistan, or Hamoon, Lake, a large shallow lake or swamp in the west of Afghanistan, close to the Persian frontier, a division of whose province of Khorassan (mainly steppe) is named Seistan after it. The lake is not a single expanse of water, but is divided into three depressions. Much of the area is generally dry.
Selan'gor, a state of the Malay Peninsula, which since 1874 has been under British protection. It lies between Malacca and Perak, has an area of 5000 sq. m. and a population of 170,000, including many Chinese. It contains rich deposits of tin. The capital is Kwala Lampur, which is connected by rail (22 miles) with the port of Klang.
SelDome, a pleasant Hampshire parish of 12 sq. m. and 1320 inhabitants, 5 miles SSE. of Alton station and 20 E. of Winchester. Gilbert White (1720-93) has made it for ever famous by his Natural History of Selborne (1789). 'The Wakes,' the ivied house where he was born and died, still stands, though added to; the church, where he lies, was restored in 1877. Nothing remains of an Augustinian priory (1232).
Selby, a market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the right bank of the Ouse, 15 miles S. of York and 20 E. of Leeds. The great cruciform parish church, measuring 283 by 59 feet, was the church of a mitred Benedictine abbey, founded in the 12th century. It exhibits every style from Norman to Perpendicular; lost its south transept by the fall in 1690 of the central tower (meanly rebuilt twelve years later); and has undergone much restoration since 1873. Other edifices are a Roman Catholic church (1859), St James's Church (1868), and a modern market-cross. The river is navigable for vessels of 200 tons; and there is a carrying trade by railway and canal. Selby has manufactures of flax, ropes, leather, beer, etc., besides boat-building and brick-making. It is the traditional birthplace of Henry I. (1068), and in the Great Rebellion was recaptured from the royalists by Fairfax (1644). Pop. (1851) 5109; (1901) 7786. See W. W. Morrell's History of Selby (1867).