Seville (Span. Sevilla; pron. Seveel'ya), one of the most famous of Spanish cities, stands on the left bank of the navigable Guadalquivir, 62 miles (95 by rail) N. by E. of Cadiz, and is connected with a large suburb (Triana) on the right bank by an iron bridge (1848). Until quite recently it had the appearance of a picturesque Moorish town; but during the last few years it has been greatly modernised by the clearing away of the narrower quarters to make room for wide straight streets and modern houses and shops. The water-supply was formerly brought from Alcala de los Panaderos by an old Roman aqueduct of 410 arches, but this has been superseded by new water-works constructed by Englishmen in 1883. The vast Gothic cathedral, built in 1401-1519 on the site of a Moorish mosque, is one of the largest in Europe, and contains valuable paintings by Murillo (a native of Seville) and other masters; magnificent Flemish stained glass of the 16th century; one of the largest organs in the world; the tombs of King Ferdinand III. and Ferdinand the son of Columbus; and much most excellent artistic work in bronze, wood-carving, and sculptured work. Close beside it stands the beautiful campanile called Giralda, 275 feet high. Both cathedral and tower were seriously damaged by an earthquake in 1884. Another of the glories of Seville is the Alcazar, or Moorish royal palace, begun in the end of the 12th century, enlarged and beautified by Peter the Cruel; its halls and gardens are surpassed only by those of the Alhambra. Amongst other places must be mentioned the so-called House of Pilate; the museum, with masterpieces by Murillo, Zurbaran, and other artists of the Seville school, as well as by Velasquez (also a native of Seville); the charity hospital; the exchange (1585), sheltering the valuable archives of the Americas; the university (1254; rebuilt 1567); the palace (1697) of the archbishop; the Palace of San Telmo, founded as a naval college by Columbus' son, but now a palace of the Duke of Montpensier; and the bullring for 18,000 spectators. There are manufactures of cigars (a royal factory employing 4000 work-people), iron, machinery, pottery, cannon, silks, cottons, etc. The imports consist principally of chemicals, timber, textiles, petroleum, machinery, coal, metals, spirits, fish, haberdashery, tinplate, and furniture; the exports of lead, quicksilver, wine, copper, oranges, olives, and olive-oil and corks. Pop. (1878) 133,938; (1900) 148,350. The Roman Hispalis, and from 712 to 1248 the Ishbilia of the Moors, Seville was then captured by Ferdinand III. of Castile, and 300,000 Moors abandoned the place. - Area of province, 5428 sq. m.; pop. (1887) 544,815.