Shepton Mallet (locally Shep'un), an ancient market-town of Somerset, 5 miles ESE. of Wells and 15 SSW. of Bath. It has an hexagonal market-cross of 1500, 51 feet high; a church with a splendid timber roof; a grammar-school (1627); and manufactures of silk, velvet, crape, ale. Pop. (1851) 3885; (1901) 5238. See a work by Far-brother (1860).
Sheriffmuir', in Perthshire, on the northern slope of the Ochils, 2 1/2 miles ENE. of Dunblane, was the scene, on 13th November 1715, of an indecisive battle between 8400 Jacobites under Mar and 3500 Hanoverians under Argyll.
Sherman, capital of Grayson county, Texas-, 64 miles by rail N. of Dallas. Pop. 10,250.
Sherwood Forest, a stretch of hilly country in the west of Nottinghamshire, lying between Nottingham and Worksop, about 25 miles N. to S. and 6 to 8 miles E. to W. It was formerly a royal forest, and the traditional scene of many of the exploits of Robin Hood; but it is now almost wholly disafforested, and is occupied by gentlemen's seats and fine parks. The town of Mansfield and a number of villages are within the ancient bounds. Numerous remains of the old forest are still to be seen. See works by R. White (1875) and Sissons (1888).
Shiant Islet, a basaltic group, 21 miles S. of Stomoway. Pop. 8.
Shiel (Sheel), Loch, a fresh-water lake in the west of Scotland, on the boundary between Moi-dart in Inverness-shire and Ardgour in Argyllshire, 18 miles W. of Fort-William. It extends 17 1/2 miles south-westward, is 1 mile broad, is overhung by mountains nearly 3000 feet high, abounds in fish, and communicates with the sea by the river Shiel and salt-water Loch Moidart. Prince Charles Edward was here, a fugitive, in 1746; and Queen Victoria in 1873. At the head is Glenfinnan (q.v.).
Shigatze, or Digarchi, a town (pop. 9000) of Tibet, stands on the right bank of the Sanpo or Brahmaputra, 140 miles W. by S. of Lhassa, at an altitude of 12,000 feet. Near by is the great monastery (3500 monks) of the Tashilunpo.