Sho'a, a mountainous country of Africa, usually accounted one of the three divisions of Abyssinia (q.v.), lying S. of Abyssinia proper, and watered by the Blue Nile and the Hawash. Area, 26,000 sq. m. The people, partly Abyssinians and partly Gallas, number about l 1/2 million. The capital is Addis Abeba (pop. 10,000), under Menelek (from 1892) capital of Abyssinia also.
Shoeburyness, on the coast of Essex, and at the mouth of the Thames, faces the Nore, 3 miles E. of Southend and 45 of London. Its dreary marshland, purchased by government in 1842-55, has since been the seat of a school of gunnery, with artillery barracks, batteries, targets, and other appliances for experimenting on cannon.
Shoreditch, a metropolitan and parliamentary (two members) borough of London. Pop. met. bor. (1901) 118,637; of par. bor. (1901) 117,706.
Shoreham, New, a seaport of Sussex, at the mouth of the Adur, 6 miles W. of Brighton. It arose when the harbour of Old Shoreham, now a mile inland, became silted up; and it has some shipbuilding, oyster and other fisheries, and a trade with France from its tidal harbour. Charles II. embarked here after Worcester for Normandy. The suspension bridge (1833), the Norman and Early English parish church, and the 'swiss Gardens,' may be noticed. The parliamentary borough of New Shoreham, including the Rape of Bramber (177 sq. m. and 42,442 inhabitants in 1881), and returning two members, was merged in the county in 1885. Pop. of parish, about 3900.
Shorncliffe, in Kent, 2 1/2 miles W. of Folkestone, the seat of a military camp during the Peninsular war, and since the Crimean war of a permanent one for 5000 men.
Shoshone Falls (Shoshonee'), on the Snake River, in southern Idaho, about 950 feet wide, and with a clear leap of 210 feet (that of Niagara is under 170 feet). The river runs in a deep gorge between walls of volcanic rock 1000 feet high. Four miles higher up are the Little Shoshone Falls, a broken cataract of 182 feet.
Shoshong, once capital of the Bamangwato tribe, and the largest native town in South Africa (20,000), depopulated since it was superseded (1890) by Palapwe (q.v.), now capital of the Bechuanaland protectorate.
Shotover Hill, an eminence (599 feet) 4 miles E. of Oxford.
Shreveport, the second city of Louisiana, on the west bank of Red River (spanned by an iron bridge of 1200 feet), 328 miles by rail NW. of New Orleans. It ships cotton, hides, wool, and tallow, and has planing and saw mills, foundries, machine-shops, breweries, and manufactories of cottonseed oil, soap, ice, carriages, etc. Pop. 16,700.