Skye, an island of Inverness-shire, the second largest of the Hebrides, is separated from the mainland by Kyle Rhea, a channel 1/3 mile wide at the narrowest. Its length is 49 miles, its breadth varies from 7 to 25 miles; but on account of inlets no point is above 4 miles from the sea. Area, 643 sq. m.; pop. (1841) 23,082; (1901) 13,883. Skye is for the most part mountainous and moory, but it contains some arable and pasture land, and one considerable plain, formerly the bed of a lake, in Kilmuir parish. The principal mountains are the serrated Coolin (not Cuchullin) Hills, which stretch irregularly north-eastward, terminating in the sharp peak of Sgurr-nan-Gillean (3167 feet) above Sligachan. Another peak, Sgurr Dearg, is actually higher (3234 feet). The most famous scene in this region is Coruisk (1 1/3 x 1/4 mile), the 'stem, dread lake' of Scott's Lord of the Isles. Glen Sligachan ascends 5 1/2 miles from the head of Loch Sligachan. The fantastic Quiraing (1779 feet) and the Storr (2360), in the north of the island, are remarkable rocks, and at many points along the coast are columnar basalt formations and cliffs 1000 feet high, whose bases are frequently worn into deep caves. One cave, near Portree, afforded a refuge to Prince Charles Edward; another, on the west coast, was the temporary prison of Lady Grange. The largest arms of the sea are Lochs Bracadale, Dunvegan, and Snizort. The coasts abound in fish - herring, salmon, cod, and ling, besides oysters. Salmon and sea-trout are got in some of the streams, and trout in most of the fresh-water lochs. Deer are not numerous, nor grouse. West Highland cattle are reared, but sheep-farming predominates. The rainfall averages 65 inches, but the climate is mild and healthy. The inhabitants are for the most part poor and ill-housed, but well-behaved and intelligent. At one time they contributed largely to the British army - not fewer than 10,000 privates during the long war with France. The population is chiefly Celtic, with, however, a considerable Norse admixture. Gaelic is gradually giving place to English. The chief proprietors are still, as of old, Lord Macdonald, whose beautiful seat is Armadale Castle in Sleat, and MacLeod of MacLeod, in whose ancient castle of Dunvegan, perched on a headland, Dr Johnson 'tasted lotus' (1773) and Scott slept in the 'Fairy Room' (1814). The principal port of Skye is Portree, a picturesquely situated village of 750 inhabitants, at which steamers call regularly. Other villages are Broadford, Dunvegan, and Kyleakin('Hakon's strait'), the last on Kyleakin strait, 1/2 mile broad, opposite the terminus of the Dingwall and Skye Railway, as extended since 1895 from Strome Ferry. 'Talisker' whisky is made at Carabost, at the head of Loch Bracadale. The inhabitants are mostly adherents of the Free Church. See Alex. Smith's Summer in Skye (1865), and R. Buchanan's Hebrid Isles (1883).