Slateford, a village 2 miles SW. of Edinburgh. Pop. 576.
Slatwoods. See Cowes.
Slave Coast, a division of the coast of Upper Guinea, Africa, extending eastwards from the Gold Coast (q.v.) as far as the river Benin, is divided between Germany, Dahomey, France, and Great Britain. The British portion is treated under Lagos (q.v.), the German under Togo (q.v.), and the French under Senegambia (q.v.).
Slavonla. See Croatia.
Slieve-Donard. See Ireland, p. 362.
Slitrig. See Hawick.
Slough (slow, ow as in now), a town of Buckinghamshire, 18 1/2 miles W. of London and 2 1/2 NNE. of Windsor. It has grown from a mere village since the railway epoch, and is a Avell-built place, the seat since 1863 of the British Orphan Asylum; but it will always be chiefly remembered as the home of Sir William Herschel from 1786 till his death, and thereafter till 1840 of his son, Sir John. Stoke Poges and the Burn-ham Beeches, both noticed separately, are near. Pop. (1861) 3425; (1901) 11,461. See Phipps's History of Upton-cum-Chalvey (Slough, 1886), the parish in which Slough is chiefly situated.
Slutsk, a town or large agricultural village of Russia, 60 miles S. of Minsk. Pop. 19,208.
Sluys (Slois), a town of Holland, province Zealand, on a bay of the North Sea, 6 miles NE. of Bruges; in the middle ages a great seaport. It is celebrated for the naval battle fought off the shore between the English and the French on 24th June 1340, in which Edward III. won a complete victory. Pop. 2631.
Smalcald. See Schmalkalden.
Smeinogorsk. See Zmeinogorsk.
Smeru, or Semiru, the highest mountain of Java, near the eastern end of the island. It is 12,240 feet high, and is an active volcano.
Smethwick, a western suburb of Birmingham.
Smolensk', a town of Russia, is situated on steep declivities overlooking the Dnieper, 244 miles by rail W. by S. of Moscow. It was a place of note in the 9th century, is surrounded by ruinous walls, has a cathedral of the 17th and 18th centuries, and was from the 14th century a powerful fortress. Here the Russians were repulsed by Napoleon in 1812. Pop. 46,950. - Area of government, 21,632 sq. m.; pop. 1,551,068.