St Asaph, a little cathedral city of Flintshire, North Wales, on an eminence between the rivers Elwy and Clwyd, 6 miles SSE. of Rhyl. The cathedral, 182 feet long, is the smallest in the kingdom, and, rebuilt after 1284, is a plain, cruciform, red sandstone structure, mainly Decorated in style, with a massive central tower 93 feet high, fine oak stalls, and a tablet to Mrs Hemans, who lived here 1809-28. It was restored by Scott in 1867-75. St Kentigern is said to have founded about 560 a bishopric at Llanelwy, renamed St Asaph after his favourite disciple. Among sixty-five bishops since 1143 have been Reginald Pecock; Isaac Barrow the elder; Lloyd, one of the Seven Bishops; and Horsley. St Asaph has a grammar-school, founded about 1600, and rebuilt in 18S2. It is one of the eight Flint parliamentary boroughs. Pop. 1858. See works by Browne Willis (1719), Freeman (1850), R. J. King (1873), and D. R. Thomas (1888).
St Aug'ustine, an ancient Spanish town on the east coast of Florida, now the capital of St John's county, stands on Matanzas Sound, 2 miles from the Atlantic and 37 by rail SSE. of Jacksonville. It was founded in 1565, and is the oldest town in the United States. Its mild and equable climate renders it a favourite winter-resort for invalids. It has a Roman Catholic cathedral (rebuilt after the fire of 1887), a Pea-body Institute, and huge and really handsome hotels. Pop. 4742, increased to 10,000 in winter.
St Austell, a town of Cornwall, 14 miles NE. of Truro and 1 1/2 NW. of the head of St Austell Bay. Its woollen and iron manufactures are of less importance than the china-clay, tin, and copper worked in the vicinity. The interesting church (13th to 16th century) was restored in 1870. Pop. 3340.
St Bartholomew, or St Barthelemy, a French West Indian island, 190 miles E. of Porto Rico. Area, 8 sq. m.; pop. 3000. The treeless surface rises to 1003 feet; the climate is very dry. French in 1648-1784, and Swedish till 1877, the island was bought back by France for £16,000.
St Bees, a Cumberland watering-place, 4 1/2 miles S. of Whitehaven by rail and 3 SE. of St Bees Head (300 feet). A nunnery founded here about 650 a.d. by an Irish princess, St Begha, appears to have been destroyed by the Danes, and to have been reconstituted as a Benedictine priory in the reign of Henry I. St Bees Theological College, established in 1816 by Dr Law, Bishop of Chester, was closed in 1896; a grammar-school, founded by Archbishop Grindall in 1587, was reconstituted in 1881. Pop. of parish, 1041.
St Bernard, two mountain-passes in the Alps. (1) Great St Bernard (8120 feet) is on the road between Aosta in Piedmont and Martigny in Valais. Almost on its crest stands the Augustin-ian hospice founded in 962 by Bernard de Menthon for the benefit of pilgrims journeying to Rome. It has sleeping-accommodation for eighty travellers, and can shelter 300. - (2) Little St Bernard, SW. of the above in the Graian Alps, connects the valley of Aosta with that of Taran-taise in Savoy. By this pass Hannibal is believed to have led his forces into Italy. It too has a hospice, 7143 feet above the sea.