St Brieuc (Sang Bree-uh'), a town of Brittany, capital of the dep. of Cotes du Nord, on the Gouet, 2 miles from its mouth in the English Channel, and 93 E. of Brest. It has a port, Le Legue, at the river's mouth; a cathedral, dating from the 13th century; the ruined Tour de Cesson (1395, blown up 1598); and a lyceum, with a library of 27,000 volumes. Pop. 16,741.
St Charles, capital of St Charles county, Missouri, on the high north bank of the Missouri River, 23 miles by rail (44 by river) NW. of St Louis. It has flour-mills, a railroad-car factory, and large bridge-building works. Pop. 8000.
St Christopher, popularly St Kitts, one of the Leeward group of the West India Islands, belonging to Great Britain, lies 45 miles NW. of Guadeloupe. It is long (23 miles) and narrow (5 miles), and is traversed by a chain of rugged mountains (Mount Misery, 4100 feet); area, 68 sq. m. The capital is Basse-terre (q.v.). Principal products are sugar, molasses, rum, salt, coffee, cocoa, tobacco, and cattle. Administratively St Kitts is united with Nevis (q.v.) and the little island of Anguilla. Pop. (1903) 30,250. This island was discovered in 1493 by Columbus, and named from a resemblance of its outline to statues of his patron saint. Colonised by French and British in 1625, it became English in 1713.
St Clair, a navigable river of North America, in the line of the Great Lakes, and carrying into Lake St Clair the waters of Lake Huron. It is over 40 miles long, and 1/2 mile broad. In 1891 a railway tunnel under its bed was completed between Port Huron, Michigan, and Sarnia, Ontario, 20 feet in diameter, and 6026 (including excavated approaches, 11,553) feet long. Lake St Clair is 26 miles long and 25 wide, has an area of 410 sq. m., and from its south-west end discharges into Lake Erie through the Detroit.
St Cloud (San9 Kloo), a town of France, dep. Seine-et-Oise, on an eminence near the Seine, 10 miles W. of Paris. Henry III. was assassinated here in 1589 by the fanatical monk Jacques Clement. St Cloud was long famous for its magnificent chateau, built by Louis XIV.'s brother, the Duke of Orleans, which Napoleon made his favourite residence. It was destroyed, and its magnificent park (in which stands the Sevres porcelain-factory) injured, during the siege of Paris, in 1870. Pop. 5660.