St Helena (generally called St Helena, not St Helena), a lonely island in the Atlantic, 1200 miles from the west coast of Africa, 1695 from Capetown, and 4477 from Southampton, measures 10 miles by 8, and has an area of 47 sq. m. It is part of an old volcano, and reaches 2823 feet in High Hill. Its shores face the ocean as perpendicular cliffs 600 to 2000 feet high. Pop. (1871) 6444; (1903) 3500, exclusive of garrison. Till the cutting of the Suez Canal St Helena was a port of call for vessels bound to and from India by the Cape, and the inhabitants did a large trade in provisioning these vessels. Since 1890, too, the British government has been withdrawing the garrison; though, on the other hand, Jamestown, the capital (pop. 2500), on the north-west coast, has been made a second-class imperial coaling station, and carefully fortified. St Helena was discovered by the Portuguese in 1502, and taken possession of by the British East India Company in 1651. It has a governor and an executive council of five. The island was Napoleon Bonaparte's prison from 1815 to his death in 1821. His home was the farmhouse of Longwood, 3 miles inland from Jamestown; and near there he was first buried. There is an Anglican bishop of St Helena. See works by Brooke (1808-24) and Melliss (1875).