St Kitts. See St Christopher.
St L6, a town of Normandy, dep. Manche, is built on a rocky elevation on the right bank of the Vire, 60 miles by rail SE. of Cherbourg. A St L6, Bishop of Coutances, built a church here in the 6th century. Noteworthy are the beautiful churches of Sainte-Croix, founded in 805, and Notre Dame (15th a). Cloth, ribbons, wool, and laces are manufactured. The astronomer Leverrier was born here. Pop. 9190.
St Lucia, the largest of the Windward Islands, in the West Indies, 42 miles long and 15 to 20 wide, with an area of 245 sq. m. Population, 55,000, of whom 2000 are whites. The exports include sugar, cocoa, logwood, etc. Much of the island is high and rocky land, covered with forest, and it contains deposits of sulphur. The island, discovered in 1502, was colonised by the French in 1563; and before 1803, when it definitively became English, it six times changed hands between France and England. The capital is Castries (pop. 8500).
St Margaret's Hope. See Forth.
St Martin's. See Scilly Islands.
St Mary Church, a suburb of Torquay, and now incorporated with it, overlooking Babbi-combe Bay. Pop. (1891) 6849.
St Mary's. See Scilly Islands.
St Michael's, or Sao Miguel, the largest and most important of the Azores (q.v.).
St Moritz, a favourite watering-place in the upper Engadine (q.v.), with chalybeate, sulphurous and other mineral waters, and a pop. of 1580.
St Nazaire (Sang Na-zair'), a seaport of France, dep. Loire-Inferieure, is situated on the north side of the estuary of the Loire, 40 miles by rail W. by N. of Nantes. Between 1831 and 1887 £1,450,000 was spent on harbour improvements, extensive docks (82 acres) having been built for large vessels unable to get up the Loire to Nantes (q.v.). Pop. (1851) 2400; (1901) 34,695.
St Neots, a market-town of Hunts, on the Ouse, 8 miles SSW. of Huntingdon. It takes name from Alfred the Great's eldest brother, whose relics were translated from the Cornish parish of St Neot (now Liskeard) to a Benedictine monastery founded at Eynesbury, close by, in 974; and it has a fine parish church, with a tower 156 feet high, a corn exchange. (1863), and manufactures of iron, paper, etc. Pop. (1851) 2949; (1901) 3880. See Gorham's History of Eynesbury and St Neots (2 vols. 1824).