St Ninians, a village 1 mile S. of Stirling, manufacturing nails, screw-bolts, woollens, and leather.
St Omer (Sangt Omayr'), a fortified town of France, dep. Pas-de-Calais, stands in a marshy site, on the Aa, 26 miles SE. of Calais by rail. It has a Gothic cathedral (13th-15th century), an arsenal, museum, and library. A college for the education of English and Irish Catholics was opened at St Omer in 1592. It was closed during the Revolution, but still exists as a seminary. Alban Butler was a president, and O'Connell a student. The manufactures include tobacco-pipes, tulle, cambric, cloth, and muslin. Pop. 17,750.
St Paul de Loanda. See Loanda.
St Peter Port, the town of Guernsey (q.v.).
St Pierre was the largest town, though not the capital, of Martinique (q.v.), in the West Indies, with a good harbour, cathedral, college, and botanical garden. It was the birthplace of Josephine, consort of Napoleon I. It was utterly destroyed on 8th May 1902 by an eruption of Mont Pelee, when its 30,000 inhabitants perished in 'a whirlwind of fire,' followed by lava, ashes, and dense sulphurous fumes.
St Pol de Leon (Sang Pol deh Lay-ong'), a decayed town in the Breton dep. of Finistere, near the English Channel, 13 miles NNW. of Morlaix. It has a 13th-century cathedral, and a church with a beautiful spire 263 feet high. Pop. 7260.
St Quentin (Sang Kongtang), a town in the French dep. of Aisne, on the Somme, 95 miles NE. of Paris and 33 S. of Cambrai. The church of St Quentin is a fine Gothic structure, dating from the 12th to the 15th century. The town-hall (15th-16th c.) is also a fine specimen of Gothic. The town is a centre of cotton industries which give employment to 130,000 hands in the making of calicoes, tulle, cretonnes, jaconets, muslin, merino, cambric, and gauze. Embroidery is largely prepared, and machinery, hats, paper, sugar, soap, and beer are manufactured. Pop. (1856) 26,887; (1901) 47,851. The Spaniards and an English contingent inflicted a crushing defeat upon the French in 1557. Shortly afterwards the town, after a brilliant defence by Coligny, capitulated to the Spanish army. In 1871 the Germans routed the army of Faidherbe here.
St Servan (Sang Ser-vong), a seaport and watering-place of France, dep. Ille-et-Vilaine, stands on the east side of the estuary of the Rance, just above St Malo, from which it is separated by a creek a mile wide. It has a floating-dock, and carries on shipbuilding. Close by are the ruins of the cathedral of Aleth (6th to 12th century). St Servan was the birthplace of the order of 'Little Sisters of the Poor.' Pop. 10,179.