Stoke-Poges (Pogis), a village of Buckinghamshire, 2 miles N. of Slough station. Gray's mother settled here in 1742; the beautiful churchyard is the scene of his Elegy, and in that churchyard he is buried. Pop. of parish, 1400.
Stolberg, (1) a mining and manufacturing town of Rhenish Prussia, 10 miles by rail E. of Aix-la-Chapelle. It manufactures brass, iron, zinc, glass, etc. Pop. 15,250. - (2) A town at the S. base of the Harz Mountains, the centre of an old countship; pop. 2311.
Stone, a Staffordshire town, on the Trent's left bank, 7 miles NNW. of Stafford and 7 S. of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a town-hall (1869), a market-hall (1868), Alleyne's school (1558), remains of an Augustinian monastery, two modern convents, and manufactures of earthenware, boots, beer, leather, etc. Peter de Wint was a native. Pop. 5750.
Stonebyres Linn. See Clyde.
Stoneha'ven (locally Stanehive'), a seaport and (since 1607) the county town of Kincardineshire, 16 miles SSW. of Aberdeen, is situated on a rocky bay at the mouth of Carron Water, which divides it into an Old and New Town. The harbour, formed since 1826, admits only small vessels; but the town (constituted a police-burgh in 1889) has herring and haddock fisheries. Population, 4600. See Dunnottar.
Stonehouse, a town of Lanarkshire, on Avon Water, 7 1/4 miles SSE. of Hamilton. Pop. 2968.
Stonehouse. See Devonport.
Stone River. See Murfreesborough.
Stonyhurst, a great Roman Catholic college, in NE. Lancashire, 4 miles SW. of Clitheroe. The old home of the Shireburnes, it passed by marriage in 1754 to the Welds of Lulworth, and by them was granted in 1794 to the Jesuit seminary founded at St Omer in 1592 by Father Parsons, and thence transferred in 1762 to Bruges, in 1772 to Liege. The fine old house, dating from 1594, was much extended during 1810-78, the chapel being built in 1835. There are an observatory, a library of 40,000 vols., etc. Affiliated in 1840 to the University of London, Stonyhnrst has now some 300 boys. See works by Hewitson (2d ed. 1878), an anonymous writer (1881), Rimmer (1884), Halt (1886), Shawcross (1894), and Father Gerard (1894).