Stormont. See Perthshire.
Stor'noway, a seaport and important fishery-station in Lewis, the chief town of the Outer Hebrides, near the head of a spacious sea-loch, 59 miles N. by W. of Portree in Skye and 180 of Oban. The principal feature is Stornoway Castle, completed in 1870 by Sir James Matheson (1796-1878), at a cost, with the grounds, of £89,000. Pop. 3900.
Stour, (1) a river flowing 47 miles E. along the Suffolk and Essex boundary to the sea at Harwich. - (2) A river of Kent, flowing 40 miles, past Ash-ford and Canterbury to Pegwell Bay. - (3) A river of Oxford and Warwick shires, flowing 20 miles to the Avon, near Stratford-on-Avon. - (4) A river of Somerset, Dorset, and Hants, flowing 55 miles to the Avon at Christchurch.
Stourbridge, a market-town of Worcestershire, on the Stour, at the border of Staffordshire and the Black Country, 4 1/2 miles S. by W. of Dudley and 12 W. by S. of Birmingham. The famous fireclay is said to have been discovered about 1555 by wandering glassmakers from Lorraine; and Stourbridge now has glass, earthenware, and firebrick works, besides manufactures of iron, nails, chains, leather, etc. The grammar-school (1552), at which Samuel Johnson passed a twelvemonth, was rebuilt in 1862; and there are also a corn exchange (1854), county court (1864), and mechanics' institute. Pop. (1851) 7847; (1881) 9737; (1901, urban district) 16,302.
Stourport, a town of Worcestershire, at the Stour's influx to the Severn, and the terminus of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, 14 miles by rail N. by W. of Worcester and 4 SSW. of Kidderminster. Dating from 1770, it is a clean, neat place, with manufactures of carpets, iron, glass, etc. Pop. 4600.
Stow, a Midlothian village, on the Gala's left bank, 6 3/4 miles N. of Galashiels. Pop. 560.
Stowmarket, a Suffolk market-town, on the Gipping, 12 miles NW. of Ipswich. It has a fine flint-work church (chiefly Decorated), with a tower and spire 120 feet high, an iron-foundry, malting, stay-making, and chemical and gun-cotton works - a disastrous explosion here in August 1871 cost 23 lives. Pop. (1801) 1761; (1901) 4162. For its memories of Milton, Burkitt, Crabbe, and Godwin, see Hollingsworth's History of Stowmarket (1844).
Strabane (Stra-bahn'), a Tyrone market-town, on the Mourne, 14 miles by rail S. by W. of Londonderry. It has fine R. C. (1892-95), Episcopalian, and Presbyterian churches; a large con-vent on the hill behind, and celebrated flax and grain markets. Pop. 5033.