Stradbroke, a Suffolk town, Bishop Grosse-teste's birthplace, 5 1/2 miles E. of Eye. Pop. 1069.
Stralsund (Stral-soont'), a seaport of Prussia, on the narrow Strela Sound, which divides the mainland from the island of Rugen, 67 miles by rail NW. from Stettin. It forms an island, connected with the mainland by bridges, and down to 1873 it was a fortress of the first-class. Many of the houses are finely gabled; and the most Interesting building is the town-house (1306). The manufactures include leather, sugar, starch, oil, and cards. Pop. 32,500. Founded in 1209, Stralsund became one of the most important members of the Hansa. It withstood a terrible siege (1628) by Wallenstein, but in 1678 capitulated to the Great Elector after a furious bombardment. It again opened its gates to Prussia in 1715, to the French in 1807, and to the Danes in 1809. The town was held by the Swedes from 1628 to 1814; in 1815 Denmark gave it up to Prussia.
Strangford, a Down seaport, on the W. shore of the entrance to Lough Strangford, opposite Portaferry, and 8 miles NE. of Downpatrick. - Lough Strangford measures 16 by 5 miles, and its entrance 6 miles by 1 mile.
Stranraer (Stran-rahr'), a royal burgh and seaport of Wigtownshire, beautifully situated at the head of Loch Ryan, 73 miles WSW. of Dumfries by rail. It has a 16th-century castle, with memories of Claverhouse, a town-hall and courthouse (1872-73), and a 'short-sea passage' to Larne in Ireland. Pop. (1841) 4889; (1881) 6415; (1901) 6036. Till 1885 Stranraer returned one member with Wigtown (q.v.).
Strata Florida. See Cardiganshire.
Stratfieldsaye. See Strathfieldsaye.
Stratford, a thriving town of Essex, on the Lea, 4 miles ENE. of London. It had a Cistercian abbey (1134) and the Empress Matilda's three-arched, bow-shaped bridge (removed in 1839). Now part of the borough of West Ham, it has a handsome town-hall (1869), and is the seat of extensive manufactures. On the opposite side of the Lea is the parish of Bow, or Stratford-le-Bow, now in the met. borough of Poplar.
Stratford, a port of entry and capital of Perth county, Ontario, on the Avon, 88 miles by rail W. of Toronto, with railway-shops, woollen-mills, and manufactories of machinery, farming implements, boots and shoes, etc. Pop. 10,250.
Strathaven (locally Straven), a town of Lanarkshire, 1 mile W. of Avon Water and 16 miles SSE. of Glasgow. On the north side is the picturesque ruin of Avondale Castle, and 5 to 7 miles south-west are the battlefields of Drumclog and Loudoun Hill. Pop. (1851) 4274; (1901) 4076. See Gebbie's Sketches of Avondale (1880).
Strathclyde'. In the 8th c. the ancient confederacy of the Britons was broken up into Wales and Cumbria. Scottish Cumbria, or Strathclyde, thenceforth formed a little kingdom, comprising the country between Clyde and Solway, governed by princes of its own, and having the fortress-town of Alclyde or Dumbarton for its capital. In 954-1124 it became permanently united to the Scottish kingdom.