Stroud, a manufacturing and market town of Gloucestershire, 10 miles SSE. of Gloucester, on an eminence in a valley sheltered by the Cotes-wolds, where the Frome and Slade rivulets unite to form the Stroud Water or Frome. The water of this stream being peculiarly adapted for use in dyeing scarlet and other grain colours, cloth-factories and dyeworks have been built along its banks for 20 miles; and Stroud itself is the centre of the woollen manufactures of Gloucestershire, and contains a number of cloth-mills. The parish church, St Lawrence, was rebuilt, with exception of the tower and spire, in 1866-68; the town-hall, • incorporating an Elizabethan facade, In 1865; and there are also the Subscription-rooms (1830), the Lansdown Hall (1879), a hospital (1876), etc. From 1832 to 1885 Stroud, with twelve other parishes, formed a parliamentary borough, returning two members. Pop. (1881) 9535; (1901)9153.
Studley Royal. See Ripon.
Stuhlweissenburg (Shtool-vice'en-boorg'; Hung. Szekes Fehervar; Lat. Alba Regia), a royal free town of Hungary, and seat of a bishop, 39 miles SW. of Budapest. Here the kings of Hungary were crowned and buried (1027-1527). Pop. 30,960.
Styria (Ger. Steiermark), a duchy of Austria, is bounded on the N. by Upper and Lower Austria, E. by Hungary, S. and W. by Carniola, Carinthia, and Salzburg. Its area is 8629 sq. m., and pop. (1880) 1,213,197; (1900) 1,356,494, of whom 67 per cent. are of German and 33 per cent. of Slavonic origin. Styria is a mountainous country, traversed by ramifications of the Alps. The Save and Drave water the southern districts; the Mur, going S. to the Drave, flows through the middle of the duchy; while the Enns skirts the NW. boundary. Forests cover 5l 1/2 per cent. of the area; 25 1/2 per cent. is pastures; and 22 per cent. is under cultivation. Styria's chief wealth lies in its mineral products, especially iron. It was made a separate margraviate in 1056, and in 1192 was joined to the Austrian crown.
Suabia. See Swabia.
Suaheli. See Swahili Coast.
Suakin (Soo-ah'keen), or more correctly Sawa-kin, a seaport of the Red Sea, stands on a small rocky island in a bay on its west side, and is the principal outlet for the commerce of Nubia and of the countries of the Sudan beyond. The island-town is connected with the settlement of El-Keff on the adjacent mainland by a causeway. Port Soudan, 30 miles to the north, has a better and safer harbour and much less trying climate; and since the opening, in 1906, of the railway thence to Atbara and Berber (connecting there with the Khartoum and Cairo - ultimately the ' Cape to Cairo' - line), threatens to supersede Suakin. The more important exports of Suakin are silver ornaments, ivory, gums, millet, cattle, hides, and gold; the imports, durra, cottons, flour, sugar, rice, ghi, dates, and coal. Near it several battles were fought by Egyptians and English against the Mahdi's followers. Pop. 21,000. See works by E. G. Parry (18S5) and W. Galloway (1888).