Surrey, an inland county in the south of England, separated on the N. by the Thames from Middlesex, and bounded elsewhere by Kent, Sussex, Hants, and Berks. Its maximum length from E. to W. is 39 miles; its greatest breadth, 26 miles; and its area, 758 sq. m., or 485,129 acres. Pop. (1801) 269,043; (1831) 485,700; (1861) 831,093; (1901) 2,008,923. Far-famed for the beauty of its scenery, Surrey is traversed from east to west by the North Downs (see Downs), which, near Titsey on the Kentish border, rise to 880 feet. On the north side of this range the land slopes gradually to the Thames - though even there plenty of high ground is to be found, as Cooper's Hill, St George's Hill, Richmond Park, and Wimbledon Common - but on the south the descent is rugged and broken up before the level of the Weald is reached. South of the main range, and about 5 miles distant from Dorking, is Leith Hill (967 feet), the highest point in the county, whilst in the extreme southwest rises Hind Head (903 feet). From all these places, as also from many others, glorious views are to be obtained, a noticeable feature in the landscapes being the prevalence of commons and heath-lands - the latter chiefly in the west. Of rivers the most important are the Wey and the Mole, both tributaries of the Thames. Surrey is well wooded, box-trees especially growing in great profusion, and around Farnham some 2000 acres are under hops. Croydon, Guildford, Kingston, and Reigate are - not reckoning the suburbs of London - the principal manufacturing centres and most important towns; near the last named also extensive beds of fuller's earth are found. The county is divided into fourteen hundreds, and since 1885 has returned six members to parliament. Between Kingston and Ockley traces of the old Roman road from London to Chichester are plainly visible, whilst on Wimbledon Common, Hascombe Hill, and near Aldershot are Roman encampments. The castles of Farnham and Guildford and the ruined abbeys of Newark and Waverley call for attention; at Claremont, Oatlands Park, and Sheen (now Richmond), were royal residences; and quaintly-timbered old houses - many of them moated - abound in the districts around Goms-hall, Godalming, and Haslemere. Of Surrey worthies the best known are William of Ockham, Thomas Cromwell, Archbishops Abbot and Whately, Bishops Corbet and Wilberforce, Middleton and Oxenford (the dramatists), John Evelyn, Sir W. Temple, Bolingbroke, Rodney, Banks (the sculptor), Gibbon, Home Tooke, Cobbett, Malthus, Herring (the animal painter), Faraday, Rennie, Sydney Herbert, Robert Browning, Hablot K. Browne, Albert Smith, Dr Jowett, Eliza Cook, Sant (the R.A.), Sir George Grove, Professors Cayley and Sidney Colvin, Dr Furnivall, Gilchrist (the biographer), and Miss Faithfull See works by Manning (3 vols. 1804-14), Allen (2 vols. 1829-30), Brayley (5 vols. 1841-48), Bevan (Stanford's series, new ed. 1891), and Murray's Handbook to Surrey and Hants (new ed. 1888); also On Surrey Hills (1892).