Swanee River. See Suwanee.
Swanetia. See Caucasus.
Swan River. See Western Australia.
Swatow, a Chinese seaport, opened to foreign trade since 1869, at the mouth of the Han, 225 miles E. of Canton. It is the seat of great sugar-refineries, and of bean-cake and grass-cloth manufactures. Pop. 40,000.
Swaziland (Swah'zee), a South African native state, lying W. of the Libomba Mountains, and intruding into the E. side of the Transvaal. Area, 6536 sq. m.; pop. 84,000 Swazis and 900 white men. Its trade, valued at £70,000, goes either through Natal or by way of Delagoa Bay. Its independence was recognised by the Transvaal and Britain in 1884; since 1904 it has been under the control of the British government. The Swazis, a Zulu-Kaffir race, smelt copper and iron, and are noted for their wood-carving.
Sweaborg. See Helsingfors.
Sweetheart Abbey. See New Abbey.
Swilly, Lough, an inlet of the Atlantic, 25 miles long and 3 to 4 wide, on the north coast of Donegal, Ireland, enters between Dunaff Head on the E. and Fanad Point, with a lighthouse, on the W. A second lighthouse is on Dunree Head. The entrance is protected by forts. On the E. shore is the watering-place, Buncrana. In Lough Swilly a French fleet was destroyed in 1798; and in 1811 the foundering of H.M.S. Saldanha at the entrance cost 300 lives.
Swindon, a municipal borough of Wiltshire, 77 miles W. of London and 29 ENE. of Bath, consists of Old Swindon, on au eminence l 1/4 mile S., and New Swindon, which originated in the transference hither in 1841 from Wootton-Bassett of the engineering works of the Great Western Railway. The former is rather a picturesque place, with a good Decorated parish church (rebuilt by Sir G. G. Scott in 1851), a town-hall (1852), assembly rooms (1850), and a corn exchange (1867); New Swindon has a mechanics' institute (1843), a theatre, etc. Pop. (1861) 6856; (1881) 22,374; (1901) 45,006 (6100 in Old Swindon). See J. E. Jackson's Swindon and its Neighbourhood (1861), and the English III. Mag. for April 1892.
Swlnton, (1) a town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 5 miles NNE. of Rotherham. It has manufactures of bottles, iron, pottery, etc. Population, 12,500. - (2) A town of Lancashire, 4 1/2 miles WNW. of Manchester, with cotton-mills and brick-fields. Pop. of Swinton and Pendle-bury, 27,000.
Swords, a town, 8 miles N. of Dublin, with a round tower, castle, and abbey. Pop. 945.
Syene (Si-ee'nee). See Assouan.