Sylhet

Sylhet (Seel'het), or Srihatta, a British district in the extreme south of Assam (q.v.). Area, 5414 sq. m.; pop. 2,000,000. The chief town, Sylhet, on the Surma River, has a pop. of 15,000.

Sylt

Sylt (Seelt), a narrow island, 23 miles long, off the W. coast of Sleswick, with a pop. of 5000. The chief town is Keitum.

Syra

Syra (Gr. Syros), the most important, though not the largest, of the Cyclades. It is 10 miles long by 5 broad, 42 1/2 sq. m. in area, and is bare and rocky. Pop. of island, 27,800. The capital, Syra, or Hermoupolis, on a bay on the E. side, is the chief commercial entrepot of the Aegean, importing manufactured wares, hides, grain, flour, yarns, timber, iron, etc., and exporting tobacco, emery-stone, valonia, sponges, etc.

Syr-Daria

Syr-Daria (Seer-Dar'ya). See Jaxartes.

Syrtis

Syrtis, the ancient name of two gulfs of the Mediterranean Sea, on the north coast of Africa. The Syrtis Major (now Gulf of Sidra) lies between Tripoli and Barca; the Syrtis Minor (now Gulf of Cabes), between Tunis and Tripoli.

Syzran

Syzran (Seez'ran), a town (1685) of Central Russia, 90 miles S. of Simbirsk. Pop. 32,500.

Szabadka

Szabadka (Saw-bawd'ka), or Maria-Theresiopel, a royal free town of Hungary, 106 miles S. by E. of Budapest. Pop. 81,500.

Szarvas

Szarvas (Sawr-vaush), a town of Hungary, 80 miles SE. of Budapest. Pop. 24,393.

Szathmar-Nemethy

Szathmar-Nemethy (Sawt'mar-Nemetee), a cathedral-city of Hungary, on the Szamos, 68 miles by rail NE. of Debreczin. Pop. 20,736.

Sze-chwan

Sze-chwan, the largest province of China, 185,000 sq. m. in area, is situated in the west, having Tibet on the NW. and Yunnan on the S\V. It is traversed by the Yang-tsze-Kiang, is hilly throughout, and rich in coal, iron, and other minerals. The capital is Ching-tu. The chief commercial town, Chung-king, on the Great River, was thrown open to British trade in 1889, as Ichang (q.v.) was to foreign trade in 1877. Pop. 71,000,000. See A. Hosie's Three Years in Western China (1890).

Szegedin

Szegedin (Seg-e-deen'), a royal free town of Hungary, stands at the confluence of the Maros with the Theiss, 118 miles by rail SE. of Budapest. In March 1879 a terrible flood overwhelmed 6235 out of 6566 houses. Since then Szegedin has been rebuilt, and now possesses very handsome public buildings, and is protected against inundations by a double ring of embankments. The Theiss is spanned by two railway bridges and a fine suspension bridge (1940 feet long) designed by Eiffel. Szegedin manufactures soap, spirits, matches, soda, tobacco, coarse cloth, etc. From 1526 to 1686 it was occupied by the Turks. Pop. (1880) 73,675; (1900) 102,970.

Szenta

Szenta. See Zenta.

Szentes

Szentes (Sen'tes), a town of Hungary, 30 mile9 N. of Szegedin, near the Theiss. Pop. 30,791.

Szolnok

Szolnok (Sol'nok), a town of Hungary, on the Theiss, 66 miles E. by S. of Budapest, with a trade in tobacco, timber, and salt. Pop 25,400.