Table Mountain. See Capetown.
Taboga. See Panama.
Tabriz (Tabreez'; anc. Tauris), a city of Persia, capital of Azerbijan province, 40 miles E. of Lake Urmia. The Kabud Masjid, or 'blue mosque' (1450), is an interesting ruin; the citadel is a spacious edifice, its brick walls cracked by earthquakes. Tabriz manufactures leather, silk, and gold and silversmith's work; it is also the emporium of an extensive transit trade. The imports include cotton fabrics, sugar, woollen cloth, and wines, spirits; the exports, drugs, spices, dried fruits, shawls, carpets, raw silk. The opening of the Russian railway between the Black Sea and the Caspian, and Russian tariff legislation, have injured the overland trade by Tabriz. The Anglo-Indian telegraph line passes here. Pop. 170,000.
Tacna, a southern province of Peru, taken possession of by Chili in 1883 avowedly for only ten years. Area, 8685 sq. m.; population, 25,000. The capital, Tacna, 38 miles by rail N. of Arica (q.v.), has a pop. of 9500.
In 1880 it was a mere village; in 1890 a flourishing city, with trams, water, gas and the electric light, miles of wide streets, numerous mills and factories, and a busy port. In the district around are coal, iron, precious metals, lumber, farms of wheat, hops, fruit, and vegetables; it has a tea trade direct with Japan. Pop. (1880) 1098; (1900) 37,714. Behind the city is beautiful Mount Tacoma or Rainier (14,444 feet).
Tadmor. See Palmyra.
Tafilet. See Morocco.
Taganrog, a Russian seaport, on the N. shore of the Sea of Azov, 15 miles W. of the Don's mouth. It exports wheat, linseed, hempseed, skins, wool, butter, and tallow. Founded in 1698, it was bombarded during the Crimean war by an Anglo-French fleet. Pop. 60,700.
Taghmon, a market-town, 9 miles W. of Wexford. Pop. 555.
Tagus (Span. Tajo), the largest river of the.
Spanish Peninsula, rises on the hilly frontier of Guadalajara and Teruel provinces. It first flows NW., then curving SW., flows mainly in that direction past Aranjuez, Toledo, and Alcantara, and, in Portugal, Abrantes, Santarem, and Lisbon, 10 miles below which it enters the Atlantic. Below Salvaterra it divides into the western Tejo Novo and the eastern Mar de Pedro, which form a delta, and both fall into the noble Bay of Lisbon. It is 566 miles long, and navigable to Abrantes from Santarem for ocean-going steamers.