Taprobane (Tap-rob'a-nee). See Ceylon.
Tara, Hill of (Tah'ra), an eminence (507 feet) in County Meath, 7 miles SSE. of Navan. Here prior to 560 is said to have stood the hall of the kings of Ireland; and here O'Connell held a monster meeting on 15th August 1843.
Taranaki (Tarandh'kee), a provincial district of New Zealand, occupying the SW. corner of the North Island. Area, 3308 sq. m. - three-fourths dense forest. The soil and climate are good for rearing stock. Pop. (1901) 37,855. Capital, New Plymouth; pop. 4400.
Taranto (anc. Tarentum), a seaport of S. Italy, on a rocky islet between the Gulf of Taranto and the Mare Piccolo, 72 miles SSE. of Bari by rail. The harbour is sheltered by two small islands, San Paolo and San Pietro, the Chœrades of antiquity. The town is joined to the mainland by a six-arched bridge on the east side, and on the west by an ancient Byzantine aqueduct. There are a modernised cathedral, and a castle erected by Charles V. Pop. 25,246.
Tarascon (Taraskong'), a walled town of France, in the Provencal dep. of Bouches-du-Rhone, 14 miles SW. of Avignon. It has King Rene's castle (1400) and a Gothic church (1187-14th c); but Tarascon is chiefly famous through Daudet's immortal Tartarin. It manufactures woollen and silk fabrics, 'saucissons d'Aries,' etc. Pop. 6597.
Tarawera. See New Zealand.
Tarbes (Tahrb), the capital of the French dep. of Hautes-Pyrenees, on the Adour's left bank, 30 miles ESE. of Pau by rail. It has a cathedral and a government cannon-foundry. Pop. (1881) 17,744; (1901)21,214.
Tarentum. See Taranto.
Targovica, or Targowicz, a town (pop. 2000) in the Russian government of Kieff.
Targovist. See Tergovist.
Tarifa (Tahree'fa), a Spanish seaport, the southernmost town of Europe, 21 miles SW. of Gibraltar. Still quite Moorish in aspect, it is connected by a causeway with a fortified islet, on which is a lighthouse, 135 feet above sea-level. Tarifa, the Julia Joza of Strabo, was occupied in 710 a.d. by the Moorish leader Tarif, whence its name. It was taken from the Moors in 1292, and valiantly defended against them by Guzman in 1294. Gough with 1800 British and 700 Spaniards held it successfully against 10,000 French (Dec. 1811-Jan. 1812). Pop. 11,750.