Teviot. See Roxburghshire.
Tex'el, an island of North Holland, at the entrance to the Zuider Zee. It is separated from the mainland by a narrow strait, called the Mars-diep. Area, 55 sq. m.; pop. 6500, who keep some 35,000 sheep, famous both for their wool and their cheese. The Marsdiep is also often called the Texel; and here many important naval battles have been fought. Blake defeated Tromp and De Ruyter in 1653; Prince Rupert fought De Ruyter in 1673; Duncan blockaded the Texel (for a time with a single ship) in 1797; and twelve Dutch ships of war and thirteen Indiamen surrendered to Admiral Mitchell in 1799.
Tezcu'co, a city of Mexico, on the east shore of the salt lake (92 sq. m.) of the same name, 25 miles by rail ENE. of Mexico city. The ancient Acol-huacan, once the chief seat of Aztec culture, it retains traces of palaces and of a noble aqueduct, and now has glass-works. Pop. 6000.
Thamu'gas, 'the Numidian Pompeii,' near the Aures Mountains, and 22 miles from Batna, which is half-way by rail from Constantine to Biskra. Here are extensive remains of Roman colonnades and temples, with statues and inscriptions.
Than'et, Isle of, forms the NE. corner of Kent, from the mainland of which it is cut off on the W. by the river Stour and the Nethergong rivulet - the ancient Wantsoine channel, completely silted up since the beginning of the 16th c. It is bounded N. and E. by the sea, and opens on the S. side into Pegwell Bay. It measures 9 miles E. and W., and 5 miles N. and S., and contains 26,180 acres. On its shores are the well-known watering-places Ramsgate, Margate, and Broadstairs; and on the North Foreland, in the NE., is a lighthouse, 85 feet high, visible 19 miles. Pop. (1871) 42,129; (1881) 50,646; (1901) 71,631. See Simson's Historic Thanet (1891).
Tharsis. See Rio Tinto.