Thirlestane Castle. See Lauder.
Thirlmere, a narrow sheet of water in the heart of the Lake District (q.v.), lying 533 feet above sea-level, between Derwentwater and Gras-mere. It was acquired as a water-supply by Manchester (q.v.), and the work was carried out in 1885-94. Originally 2 1/2 miles long and 328 acres in area, the embankment (294 yards long) raised the surface by 50 feet, and increased the length to 3 2/3 miles, and the area to 793 acres.
Thirsk, a town in the North Riding of Yorkshire, in the Vale of Mowbray, on the Cod Beck, an affluent of the Swale, 23 miles NNW. of York. It has a fine church, and manufactures farm implements and saddlery. Thirsk returned two members till 1832, and then one till 1885. Pop. 3164. See W. Grainge, The Vale of Mowbray (1859).
Thorn (Torn; Pol. Torun), a town of West Prussia, on the right bank of the Vistula (here spanned by a viaduct 1100 yards long), 31 miles by rail ESE. of Bromberg. Founded by the Teutonic Order in 1231, and a member of the Hanseatic League, it contains a town-hall and a number of other buildings with beautiful gables and interiors; became a Polish town in 1454; and was annexed to Prussia in 1793, and again finally in 1815. An important stronghold in the 17th c, it was five times besieged between 1629 and 1813; and since 1878 has been made a fortress of the first rank, the old fortifications being removed, and a series of detached forts built. Copernicus was a native; and a colossal bronze statue of him was erected in 1853. Pop. 31,500.
Thornahy-on-Tees, the name under which South Stockton (q.v.) was incorporated in 1892. Pop. (1881) 10,665; (1901) 16,054.
Thorne, a market-town of Yorkshire, on the Don, 10 miles NE. of Doncaster.
Thornhill, a town of Yorkshire, 1 1/2 mile S. of Dewsbury. Pop. 10,290.
Thorshavn. See Faroe Islands.
Thornton, a town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, now incorporated with Bradford.
Thourout (Fr. pron. Too-roo), a Belgian town, 11 miles SW. of Bruges. Pop. 10,200.