Thousand Islands. See St Lawrence.
Thrace, a name used by the ancients somewhat vaguely for a large region to the west of the Euxine (Black Sea), so as to include the whole country between the Ister (Danube) and the Aegean, and even part of the Scythian country beyond the Ister. Latterly the northern part of Thrace has become the province of Eastern Roumelia (see Bulgaria), while the remainder is still part of the Ottoman empire.
Thrasimene. See Trasimene.
Threave Castle. See Dee.
Three Rivers (Trots Rivieres), capital of St Maurice county, Quebec, at the confluence of the St Maurice and St Lawrence, 95 miles NE. of Montreal. It has a large trade in lumber; and manufactures boots, car-wheels, and stoves. Champlain founded it in 1634. Pop. 9996. - Three Rivers, Michigan, on the St Joseph River, 128 miles E. of Chicago. Pop. 5550.
Throndhjem. See Trondhjem.
Thun (Toone), a picturesque and ancient town of Switzerland, 17 miles SSE. of Bern by rail. It stands on the Aar, hardly a mile from the Lake of Thun (12 miles long, 2 broad; greatest depth, 1844 feet), out of which the crystal river rushes past the town. Pop. 6100.
Thunder Bay. See Superior (Lake).
Thurgau (Toor-gow; Fr. Thurgovie), a frontier canton of NE. Switzerland. Area, 381 sq. m.; population, 115,000, of whom two-thirds are Protestants. The surface attains only 3722 feet; the chief river is the Thur, flowing WNW. to the Rhine in Zurich canton. Capital, Frauenfeld.
Thuringia (Ger. Thuringen - pron. nearly Tee'-ring-en), the name still borne by that part of the ancient Saxon area bounded by the Werra, the Saale, and the Harz Mountains; the Thuringian states being the minor Saxon Duchies (q.v.), the two Schwarzburgs, the two Reuss principalities, and small parts of Prussia, Saxony, and Bavaria. The Thuringian Forest (Thuringer Wald) is a series of wooded mountain-ridges (highest point, 3224 feet above sea-level) occupying great part of this area. It is some 70 miles long, and belongs to the Sudetic system.
Thurles (Thur'less), a town of Tipperary, on the Suir, 87 miles SW. of Dublin by rail. It has the classical R. C. cathedral (cost £45,000) of Cashel archbishopric; 4 miles off is the beautiful 14th-c. ruin of Holy Cross Abbey. Pop. 4411.
Thurso, a burgh of barony and seaport of Caithness, at the mouth of the Thurso River, by rail (1874) 21 miles NW. of Wick and 154 NNE. of Inverness. It has a town-hall (1870), capital bathing, etc. The harbour had got silted up; but extensive improvements were carried out in 1891-92, when also a good pier at Scrabster was extended, on the west side of the bay. Paving-stones are prepared and exported. The self-taught geologist, Robert Dick (1811-66), was a baker here from 1830. Pop. 3730.