Thyati'ra. See Ak-hissar.
Tian-sban (Tee-an-shan'; 'Celestial Mountains'), a great mountain-system, consisting of several ridges, mostly parallel, in central Asia, extends from the Pamir (q.v.) to the north of the Tarim depression in Turkestan, and occupies the frontier region between Russian territory on the north and the Chinese dominions to the south.
Tibbermore. See Tippermuir.
Tibbu, a people of the Sahara (q.v.).
Tiber (Ital. Tevere, Lat. Tiberis), the chief river of Central Italy, and the most famous in the peninsula, rises in a dell of the Tuscan Apennines, 11 miles N. of the village of Pieve Santo Stefano, whence it winds 260 miles SSE., S., and SSW., and enters the Mediterranean by two branches, which enclose the Isola Sacra. Of these the northern, the Fiumicino, alone is navigable; the Fiumara is silted up. Towns on or near its banks are Perugia, Orvieto, Rome, and Ostia. It is navigable for boats of 50 tons to the confluence of the Nera, 100 miles from its mouth. The Tiber is supplied mainly by turbid mountain-torrents, whence its liability to sudden overflowings. Its waters, too, are still discoloured with yellow mud, as when Horace described it. See W. Davies, The Pilgrimage of the Tiber (2d ed. 1875).
Tiberias. See Galilee.
Tibesti, or Tu, a mountainous country in the Eastern Sahara (where 20° N. lat. and 16° E. long. cross), inhabited by a Tibbu tribe. The Tarso Mountains reach 7500 feet. First explored by Nachtigal in 1869, the country seems likely to be absorbed into the French Sahara.
Tibur. See Tivoli.
Tichborne, a Hampshire property, 2 miles SSW. of Alresford station and 6 1/2 E. by N. of Winchester. It has from before the Conquest been the seat of the Tichbornes, a Catholic family who received a baronetcy in 1626.
Ticino (Ti-chee'no), a river of Switzerland and N. Italy, rises on the southern slopes of Mount St Gothard, and flows S. through Lake Maggiore, and then SSE. to its junction with the Po, 4 miles below Pavia.
Ticino (Ger. Tessin), the most southern canton of Switzerland, bounded W. and S. by Italy. Area, 1082 sq. m.; population, 140,000, mainly Italian-speaking and Catholics. The largest town is Lugano; since 1881 Bellinzona is the capital.
Tien-tsin (Teen-tsin), a city of China, on the Pei-ho's right bank, 34 miles from its mouth and 80 SE. from Peking, of which it is the port. The river is frozen over from December to March, when the business is taken up by sledges. By the treaty of Tien-tsin (1858) the port was declared open; a British consulate was established in 1861; in 1881 Tien-tsin was connected by telegraph with Shanghai and Peking; and there is a railway to the Pei-ho's mouth. Pop. 950,000.