Tiffin, capital of Seneca county, Ohio, on the Sandusky River, 43 miles by rail SSE. of Toledo. It is the seat of Heidelberg College (Reformed Church; 1851), and manufactures farming implements, churns, stoves, woollens, etc. Pop. 11,000.
Tiflis (Tif-leess') the chief city of a government and the capital of Russian Caucasia, on the Kur, 165 miles as the crow flies ESE. of the Black Sea. Since 1883 it has been connected by rail with Batoum on the Euxine and Baku on the Caspian, and is the chief centre of trade between Russia and Persia. The old city, the capital of the Georgian princes by the 5th century, has been greatly metamorphosed since the Russian occupation in 1795 and annexation in 1802. In the middle ages the metal-workers of Tiflis were famous for their skill in engraving, inlaying, and brass-work; and the silversmiths and gunsmiths still maintain their character. Otherwise its manufactures (carpets, etc.) are unimportant. Near it are naphtha and thermal springs. Pop. (1897) 160,645, - Area of government, 15,306 sq. m.; pop. 875,181.
Tigre, the northern division of Abyssinia (q.v.).
Tigris (Heb. Hiddekel; Tigra in Old Persian, 'swift as an arrow'), a large river of Asiatic Turkey, rises south of Lake Goljik, in the mountains of Kurdistan, within a few miles of the eastern bend of the Euphrates, and flows 1150 miles SE., E., and SE. again, till at Kurna it joins the Euphrates (q.v.) 90 miles above its mouth in the Persian Gulf. It receives the Bitlis, Great and Little Zab, and Dyala, all from the left. In its upper course the Tigris is very swift, and it brings down much mud. On its banks are Diarbekir, Mosul, and Bagdad, with the ruins of Nineveh, Seleucia, and Ctesiphon. The river is navigable for small steamers to Bagdad. - For the Bocca Tigris, see Boca Tigre and Canton.
Til'bury Fort, in Essex, on the N. bank of the Thames, opposite Gravesend, and 22 miles E. of London. A block-house of Henry VIII.'s time, it was converted (1667) into a regular fortification after De Ruyter's expedition into the Medway, and has been greatly strengthened since 1861. Here on 8th August 1588, after the dispersal of the Spanish Armada, Elizabeth reviewed her troops. The East and West India Dock Company constructed extensive docks at Tilbury in 1882-86.
Tillicoul'try (oul as oo), a manufacturing town of Clackmannanshire, at the base of the Ochils and near the Devon's right bank, 10 miles ENE. of Stirling and 4 NNE. of Alloa. Woollens have been manufactured here since the 16th c, and later shawls and silks. Pop. 3500.