Tillietudlem. See Craignethan.
Til'sit, a town of East Prussia, on the left bank of the Memel or Niemen, 65 miles NE. of Konigsberg by rail. Here was signed, on an island in the river, the treaty of 1807 between Russia and Napoleon. Pop. 34,545.
Tilt. See Glentilt.
Timbo, capital of Futa Jallon (q.v.), in the heart of the country.
Timor (Tee-mor'), the most important of the chain of islands which stretch eastward from Java, has a length of 300 miles, an area of 12,264 sq. m., and a pop. of 500,000. A chain of wooded mountains runs throughout its entire length; one peak, Alias, near the south coast, being 11,500 feet high. It is less volcanic than its smaller neighbours of the Sunda group. Magnetic iron, porphyry, gold, copper, and sulphur are found. The exports are maize, sandalwood, wax, tortoise-shell, and trepang. The smaller western portion belongs to the Dutch (capital Kupang); the eastern part is Portuguese (capital Deli); but native chiefs really govern the island.
Timor-Laut (Tee-mor'-Lowt), or Tenimber, a group of three Dutch islands, E. of Timor, extending 100 miles, and 2263 sq. m. in area. Unlike Timor, they are mainly coralline and correspondingly low-lying, though one extinct volcano is 2000 feet high. Pop. 25,000.
Ting-hai. See Chusan.
Tinnevel'li (originally Tiru-nel-veli), a town of S. India, 170 miles by rail SSW. of Trichinopoli, and 1 1/2 mile from the river Tambraparni. It is connected with the military station of Pallam-cotta, across the river; has a Sind temple, Hindu college, and cotton-factory; and is a great Protestant missionary centre. Pop. 40,500.
Tino. See Tenos.
Tintagel Head (Tintaj'el), a cliff 300 feet high on the western coast of Cornwall, 22 miles W. of Launceston, and but 6 miles from Camelford - the Camelot of Arthurian legend. Partly on the mainland and partly on the so-called island, almost cut off by a deep chasm, stand the imposing ruins of the castle where King Arthur held his court. The oldest part, the keep, is apparently of Norman construction.
Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire, perhaps the loveliest ruin in England, on the Wye's right bank, 5 miles above Chepstow. The abbey was founded in 1131 for Cistercians, but its church dates from the end of the 13th c. The length of the building is 228 feet; the style a transition from Early English to Decorated; the window-tracery is especially fine. In Wordsworth's noble Lines composed above Tintern Abbey, the abbey itself is not mentioned. See works by Heath (1793), Cooper (1807), and Thomas (2d ed. 1845).
Tinto. See Lanarkshire.