Tippecanoe (Tip'pehkanoo'), a river of Indiana, which rises in the north, flows 200 miles WSW. and S., and empties into the Wabash 10 miles above Lafayette. In a battle near its mouth, in 1811, General Harrison defeated the Indians.
Tiree. See Tyree.
Tirlemont (Teerl-mong'; Flem. Thienen), a Belgian town, 30 miles ESE. of Brussels. It manufactures machinery, hosiery, flannel, leather, sugar, etc. Here the French, under Dumouriez, defeated the Austrians in 1793. Pop. 18,000.
Tiryns (Tir'rins), an ancient city of Argolis, in the Peloponnesus, 3 miles from the head of the Argolic Gulf. Its Cyclopean walls and those of the neighbouring Mycenae are the grandest in Greece. The citadel was built on an oval-shaped rock, 330 yards long by 112 at its widest, fringed by a wall, 30 to 40 feet thick, and about 50 feet high (from the outside base), composed of blocks, 10 by 3 1/2 feet. See Schliemann's Tiryns (1885).
Titicaca (Teeteekah'ka), Lake. See Peru.
Tiumen (Tyoo'men), a town of W. Siberia, 90 miles SE. of Tobolsk, on a feeder of the Tobol. Connected by rail with Perm, it is on several important trade-routes; and large quantities of leather, carpets, soap, candles, and pottery are manufactured and exported. It has a technical school, a great January fair, and an exile forwarding prison. Pop. 29,700.
Tiv'oli (anc. Tibur), a town of Italy, 18 miles E. of Rome by rail and steam-tramway, on the slope of the Sabine hills and the river Teverone (anc. Anio, q.v.). Here works for the electric lighting of Rome were inaugurated in 1892. Tibur was the favourite summer-resort of the wealthy Romans. Above the falls of the Anio rises the so-called Sibyl's temple, in good preservation; the church of San Giorgio is an ancient temple; there are extensive remains of Hadrian's magnificent villa, the villa of Maecenas, mausoleums, aqueducts, baths, etc. Near Tivoli is the famous Villa d'Este. Pop. 9370.