Tlaxcala

Tlaxcala (Tlaskah'la), the smallest state of Mexico. Area, 1506 sq. m.; population, 175,000. The capital, Tlaxcala, stands 7300 feet above the sea; pop. 2850.

Tlemcen

Tlemcen (Tlem-sen'), a town of Algeria, 80 miles SW. of Oram Pop. 35,382.

Tobago

Toba'go, the most southerly of the Windward Islands belonging to Britain, lies 18 1/2 miles NE. of Trinidad (of which it is a dependency), is 32 miles long by 7 broad, and has an area of 114 sq. m. It was discovered by Columbus in 1498, and named by him Assumption; the name Tobago probably arose from the free use of tobacco by the Carib natives. It was long contested between Dutch, Spaniards, and French, but came to Britain in 1763. The island is volcanic, mountainous (1800 feet), and picturesque. Scarborough, its chief town, is on the S. side, and at the base of a conical hill (425 feet), crowned by Fort King George, now without garrison. The exports (rum, molasses, cocoa-nuts, livestock, etc.) amount to from 20,000 to 40,000 a year; the imports to from 20,000 to 30,000. Pop. 18,750.

Tobercurry

Tobercurry, a Sligo market-town, 9 miles SW. of Ballymote. Pop. 870.

Tobermory

Tobermo'ry. See Mull.

Tobolsk

Tobolsk, a town of W. Siberia, at the Tobol's influx to the Irtish, nearly 2000 miles E. of St Petersburg. Pop. 20,630. - Area of Tobolsk government, 539,659 sq. m.; pop. 1,500,000.

Toboso

Tobo'so, El, a town (pop. 1925) in the Spanish district of La Mancha, 60 miles SE. of Toledo, the home of Don Quixote's peerless Dulcinea.

Tocantins

Tocantins', an important river of Brazil, rises in the state of Goyaz, flows 15 miles N., and finally widens into the Para (q.v.), 138 miles from the Atlantic. Its affluent, the Araguay (1600 miles), bears along a greater volume of water than the Tocantins itself. Steamers ascend for 400 miles from the sea; above the rapids 400 miles more is navigable.

Toddington

Toddington, a town of Bedfordshire, 5 miles N. of Dunstable. Pop. of parish, 2087.

Todmorden

Tod'morden, a market-town on the border of Yorkshire and Lancashire, prettily situated among hills on the Calder, 9 miles N. by E. of Rochdale, 18 1/2 NNE. of Manchester, and 13 W. of Halifax. The classical town-hall was erected in 1875, and in front of it is a bronze statue by Foley of John Fielden, M.P. (1784-1849), the founder here of an enormous cotton-mill. Coal abounds in the vicinity. Pop. (1871) 21,764; (1901) 25,418.

Togoland

To'goland, since 1884 a German protectorate on the Slave Coast, east of the British Gold Coast, between 0° 30' E. long. and 1° 41' E., the boundary towards the interior being somewhat indefinite. Area, 33,000 sq. m.; pop. 2,000,000. It is the most prosperous of Germany's African possessions. Togo, the largest native town (pop. S000), is on Lake Togo; Little Popo is the capital, and Lome the chief port.

Tokat

Tokat', a town of Sivas province, Asia Minor, 70 miles inland from the Black Sea. Pop. 30,000.