Toron'to, the second city of Canada, lies on the N. shore of Lake Ontario, between the Don and the Humber, 310 miles WSW. of Montreal. As the latter is the metropolis of the east, so Toronto aims to be the metropolis of the west, including the newly-opened regions of the Northwest. In 1749 the French established Fort Rouille on the W. side of the present city, which in 1756 was destroyed to prevent its falling into the hands of the English. In 1793 Governor Simcoe finding Niagara or Newark too close to the American side - indeed, right under the guns of an American fort - for the seat of government, crossed Lake Ontario and established his headquarters in a tent here. In 1812 Toronto, called York by Governor Simcoe, was twice captured and burned by the American army and navy. In 1834 it was incorporated as the city of Toronto (Huron, ' place of meeting '). In 1837 it was the scene of a brief and ineffectual rebellion under Lyon Mackenzie. Pop. (1861) 44,821; (1871)56,092; (1881)86,415; (1901) including some annexed suburbs, 208,040. The city is the capital of the province of Ontario. Its chief churches are the cathedral of St James (Anglican), the Metropolitan Methodist Church, and St Michael's Cathedral (Catholic). The university of Toronto, which was burned to the ground in 1890, but rebuilt, is a very imposing structure, worthy of its noble site and splendid grounds. Federated with it are Victoria University, Trinity College (Anglican), Wycliff College (Protestant), Knox College (Presbyterian), and St Michael's College (Catholic); the teaching staff numbers about 150, and the students 1720. There are also the Normal School, the Collegiate Institute, a School of Practical Science, etc. Toronto has a Public Library (1884), the University Library, the Law Library, the library of the Canadian Institute, and the Legislature Library. The total imports average over $31,500,000, and the exports over $9,500,000. The lake commerce is also very large in lumber, fruit, grain, coal, and cattle.