Torquay (Tor-kee'), a watering-place of South Devon, occupying a cove on the north side of Tor Bay, 23 miles S. of Exeter and 220 WSW. of London. Tor Abbey was founded here for Pre-monstratensian monks in 1196; in Tor Bay in 1688 William of Orange landed at Brixham (q.v.), and during the war with France it was a frequent naval rendezvous. But till the beginning of the 19th c. Torquay itself was little more than an assemblage of fishermen's huts. About that time the advantages of its climate - sheltered position, equable temperature (mean 44° in winter, 55° in summer), and freedom from fogs - caused it to be resorted to by consumptive patients, and it soon acquired a European celebrity. The romantic hills and valleys of Torquay and its environs have been overspread with terraces, villas, and gardens, the luxuriance of its foliage being a delightful feature of this 'queen of English watering-places.' The scenery is as varied as it is beautiful, the geology of the district most interesting; and Kent's Cavern (q.v.) is only a mile distant. The remains of the abbey include some crypts and the 13th-century ' Spanish barn' (it housed some survivors from the Armada); and St Michael's Chapel, on a hill-top, is thought to have been connected with the abbey. St John's Church, by Street, is a striking edifice; and other buildings are the town-hall (1852), museum (1875), and theatre (1880). Torquay was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1892. It is a great yachting station; its chief industries are the working up of Devonshire marbles and the manufacture of terra-cotta-Pop. (1851)' 7903; (1881) 24,767; (1901) 33,625. See J. T. White's History of Torquay (1878).