Torrington, Great, a market-town of North Devon, on an eminence sloping to the Torridge, 10 miles (by rail 14) SSW. of Barnstaple. A castle (1340) has disappeared; and the church, of which Wolsey and John Howe were incumbents, was rebuilt in 1651, its predecessor having been accidentally blown up with 200 prisoners, after Hopton's defeat here by Fairfax, February 16, 1646. Torrington was made a municipal borough by Queen Mary. Gloves are manufactured. Pop. 3250.
Tor'tola. See Virgin Islands.
Tottenham, a northern suburb of London.
Toul (Toole), a town in the French dep. of Meurthe-et-Moselle, on the Moselle, 20 miles W. of Nancy. It has a former cathedral (965-1496), whose W. front, with towers 245 feet high, is one of the finest in France, an 18th-century hotel-de-ville, and manufactures of lace, hats, etc. The Tullum Leucorum of the Romans, Toul maintained a semi-independence till 1545; on 23d September 1870 surrendered to the Germans after bombardment; and since has been strongly fortified with a cordon of forts. Pop. (1872) 6584; (1901) 9030.
Tournay (on as oo; Flemish Doornik), a Belgian town, on the Scheldt, 35 miles WSW. of Brussels. Its splendid Romanesque cathedral, 400 feet long, has live towers and pictures by Rubens; and there are also the churches of St Quentin and St Brice (with the grave of King Childeric), the belfry (1190), and a bronze statue (1803) of the Princess d'Epinoy, who in 15S1 valiantly defended Tournay against Parma. An ancient place, but modern in aspect, Tournay manufactures hosiery, linen, Brussels carpets, and porcelain. Pop. (1880) 32,566; (1900) 35,004. Tournay (anc. Tornacum or Turris Nervioram) was in the 5th c. the seat of the Merovingian kings. In 1526 it was included in the Spanish Netherlands.