Treig (Traig), Loch, a loch of SW. Inverness-shire, 5 1/8 miles long, 3/4 mile wide, and 784 feet above sea-level. Mountains, 2000 to 3658 feet high, overhang it, and it is skirted by the West Highland Railway.
Tresco. See Scilly Islands.
Tresilian, a Cornish village, 3 1/4 miles ENE. of Truro. Here Sir Ralph Hopton surrendered to Fairfax (1646).
Treviso (Tray-vee'zo), a town of Italy, 17 miles N. of Venice. It has a Duomo dating from the 15th c, with pictures by Titian, the older Gothic church of San Nicolo, a public library (50,000 vols.), and a line theatre. Pop. 34,000.
Trichinop'oli, a town of Madras Presidency, on the right bank of the Kaveri, 56 miles from the sea. The fort, which includes the old town, is dominated by gneiss rock 273 feet high, on which are two temples. The moat has been laid out as a boulevard, and the Nawab's palace, which was restored in 1873, has been utilised for offices. St John's Church contains the tomb of Bishop Heber. The troops are stationed l 1/2 mile south of the fort. There are a market (1868), military and town hospitals, and an observatory. Cheroots are largely manufactured, also hardware and jewellery. A railway to Madras was opened in 1875. Pop, 106,000.
Trient (Tree-ent'). See Trent.
Trier (Treer). See Treves.
Triermain, a fragment of an old castle, near Beweastle, Cumberland.
Trik'hala, a town of Greece, in Thessaly, 40 miles W. of Larissa, manufactures cottons and woollens. Pop. 25,000. Trikhala, the Trikka of Homer with a temple of Aesculapius, was ceded to Greece in 1881.
Trim, the county town of Meath, on the Boyne, 30 miles NW. of Dublin by rail, with imposing ruins of a 12th-century castle, the Yellow Steeple (125 feet) on the site of an ancient abbey founded by St Patrick, and a column to Wellington, who had his first schooling here. Close by are the ruins of Newtown Abbey and the Priory of St John the Baptist, and 5 miles down the river are the noble ruins of Bective Abbey. Pop. 1511.
Trinacria. See Sicily.
Trincomalee (usu. Trin'comalee'; really Trin-comah'lee), a seaport, naval station, and magnifi-cent harbour of Ceylon, 110 miles NE. of Kandy. Here the Malabar invaders of Ceylon built the 'Temple of a Thousand Columns,' to which pilgrims flocked from all parts of India, but which was demolished in 1622 by the Portuguese. The place was next held by Dutch and French alternately, until it became British in 1795. It has lately been very strongly fortified. Pop. 15,000.