Tring, a market-town of Hertfordshire, on a spur of the Chilterns, 2 miles W. of Tring station, and 31 NW. of London. Situated near the Icknield Way and the Grand Junction Canal, it has a good church, and manufactures of silk, canvas, and straw-plait. Tring Park, built by Wren for Henry Guy (c. 1670), is the seat of Lord Rothschild, whose son has here established an important Natural History museum (1892). Pop. 4500.
Trinidad' is the most southerly of the British West India Islands, only 7 miles from the coast of Venezuela, the Gulf of Paria (an extremely safe anchorage) lying between. It is 50 miles long, 30 to 35 miles broad, and 1755 sq. m. in area. Three mountain-ridges run east and west, one fringing the north coast and reaching 3000 feet. The Pitch Lake, near the village of La Brea, is composed of bituminous matter floating on the surface of fresh water, about 3 miles in circumference, and 80 feet above the sea; over 100,000 tons of asphalt are obtained hence in a year. The soil is very rich and productive. The climate is hot and moist, but not unhealthy. The chief town, Port of Spain, is one of the finest towns in the West Indies (pop. 55,000). There is another town called San Fernando (pop. 7640). The chief products are cocoa, sugar, rum, molasses, coffee, cocoa-nuts, tobacco, bitters, asphalt, and fruit (exported since 1889). Pop. (1871) 109.638; (1881) 155,128; (1901) 255,148, mainly French (speaking a patois), with Spanish and English colonies, and many East Indian coolies. There are 54 miles of railway in the island, which with Tobago forms a crown colony. Trinidad was discovered by Columbus in 1498, and settled in 1532. It suffered at the hands of the English (Sir Walter Raleigh in 1595), the Dutch (1640), and the French (1677 and 1690). In 1797 it first fell to the British, who were confirmed in it in 1802. See works by Hort (1865), Wickham (1872), De Verteuil (new ed. 1884), J. H. Collins (2d ed. 1888), and L. M. Fraser (1894).