Trinity, a northern suburb of Edinburgh.
Tripolit'za (officially Tripolis, 'three cities'), a town of Greece, under the Turkish rule capital of the Morea, 40 miles SW. of Corinth, in a plain 3000 feet above the sea. It derives its name from being near the sites of the three ancient cities Tegea, Mantinea, and Pallantium. Pop. 10,698.
Trivandram. See Travancore.
Troon, a seaport and watering-place of Ayrshire, 6 miles N. by W. of Ayr and 31 SW. of Glasgow. The harbour, undertaken by the Duke of Portland in 1808, and completed at a cost of more than half a million, is protected by a breakwater 1000 yards long. Golf-links were laid out in 1878; and Troon also has splendid sands and good sea-bathing. Pop. 4850. See Kirkwood's Troon and Dundonald (2d ed. Kilmarnock, 1881).
Tros'sachs, a wooded defile of Perthshire, 8 miles W. by S. of Callander, which Scott's Lady of the Lake has made one of the places of pilgrimage of the world. It extends 1 mile eastward between Lochs Katrine and Achray, and to the north has Ben A'an (1851 feet), to the south-west Benvenue (2393 feet).
Trouville (Troo'veel), a popular French watering-place, dep. Calvados, at the mouth of the Tongues, 10 miles SW. of Honfleur. It has famous oyster beds and fine sands, and was discovered by Alexandre Dumas. Pop. 5627.
Trow'bridge, a market-town of Wiltshire, on a rocky hill above the small river Biss, 12 1/2 miles by rail SE. of Bath and 12 SSW. of Chippenham. A Norman castle at Court Hill has vanished. The fine Perpendicular church of St James (1475) has a spire 159 feet high; Crabbe the poet was rector from 1814 to 1832, and is buried in the chancel. A new town-hall was opened by the Duchess of Albany in 1889; and there are also a market-house, public gardens (1884), cottage hospital (1886), waterworks (1873), etc. Trowbridge has been a seat of the woollen manufacture since Henry VIII.'s reign; and superfine broadcloth and kerseymere are largely manufactured. Pop. 11,500.