Trondhjem (Trond'yem; Ger. Drontheim), the third town of Norway, on the south side of the long and narrow Trondhjem Fjord, 250 miles N. of Christiania by rail. It is built on undulating slopes, and has regular and broad streets, the houses being mostly of wood, though the building of new wooden houses is now forbidden by law. The (fortified) harbour is capacious, deep, and safe, but difficult of entry. The cruciform cathedral, dating partly from the 13th c, is of English-Norman architecture, and unquestionably the most interesting church in Norway. A great fire in 1530 destroyed most of it except the richly adorned octagonal choir (late Gothic). From 1818 the place of coronation of Norwegian kings, it has been carefully restored since 1880. Portions of an old archiepiscopal palace (Kongsgaard) also survive. The main emporium of a wide district, Trondhjem has a large trade by sea and land, exporting copper ore, herrings, train-oil, timber, etc. It was the ancient capital of Norway, originally called Nidaros, founded in 996, and became in 1152 the seat of an archbishop. Its decline dates from the Reformation. Pop. 38,780.