Troyes (Trwah), a town of France, the capital formerly of the province of Champagne, and now of the dep. of Aube, on the Seine's left bank, 104 miles ESE. of Paris by rail. In spite of modernisations it is still an old-fashioned place, with many quaint timbered houses. The principal buildings are the cathedral, a splendid specimen of Flamboyant Gothic, founded in 872, and rebuilt between the 13th and 16th centuries; the churches of St Urban, the Madeleine, St Pantaloon, and St Remi; the Hotel de Ville (1624-70); and a public library with 110,000 vols. and 5000 MSS. Troyes carries on cotton, linen, and woollen manufactures. Pop. (1872) 38,113; (1901) 51,200. The capital of the Celtic Tricassii, Troyes was called by the Romans Augustobona, later Civitas Tricassium, and then Trecœ, whence the modern name. Under the Counts of Champagne it rose in the 12th c. to great importance, and so late as 1600 had over 60,000 inhabitants.
Trujillo (Troo-heel'yo), a town of Spain, the birthplace of Pizarro, in Caceres province, 60 miles NE. of Badajoz. It manufactures linen, leather, and pottery. Pop. 12,500. - (2) An episcopal city of Peru, capital of the dep. of Libertad, on a fertile plain near the sea-coast. Pizarro founded it in 1535. Pop. 8000. - (3) A port of Honduras, on the north coast. Pop. 4000.
Truro, a city of Cornwall, of which it is considered the metropolis, though Bodmin is the county town, stands 12 miles NNE. of Falmouth and 54 W. of Plymouth, at the junction of the Allen and the Kenwyn, here met by a tidal inlet, the Truro River. The ancient Cornish bishopric of Truro was revived in 1876; the cathedral, a granite Early English structure (18S0-S7), incorporates a portion of the old parish church of St Mary's (1518). A very ancient municipal borough, Truro returned two members from 1239 till 1885. Pop. 11,750.
Truro, a Nova Scotian manufacturing town of 6000 inhabitants, at the head of Cobequid Bay, and 62 miles NNE. of Halifax by rail.
Tsad, Lake. See Chad.
Tsaidam. See Tibet.
Tsarskoye Selo (Tsars-ko-yay Say-lo; 'Czar's Town'), 18 miles S. of St Petersburg, is a favourite resort of the imperial family. Pop. 18,500.
Tsu-shima, a Japanese island (two islands at high water), 40 miles in length, half-way between the southern end of Japan and Corea, and dividing the Corean Strait into two channels. In the main channel was fought, on 27th and 28th May 1905, the great naval battle in which the Russian Baltic fleet under Rozlulestvensky was annihilated by Togo's fleet.