Upsala (Oopsah'la), the historic centre of ancient Sweden, stands on a little stream that runs down to Lake Malar, 41 miles by rail N. by W. of Stockholm. Its existing importance is due to its being the seat of Sweden's only archbishop, and of the principal university. The Gothic brick cathedral was founded in 1289, completed in 1435, partly burned down in 1702, and only partly restored. It contains the tombs of Linnaeus and Gustavus Vasa and some other Swedish kings. The university, founded in 1477, though new buildings were erected in 1877, is attended by 1400 students, and possesses a library (1620) of 300,000 volumes and 10,000 MSS , an observatory, botanical garden, etc. In the older town, around which on E. and N. new suburbs have been built, there stands the castle of Gustavus Vasa (1548). Pop. 23,800. About 3 miles NE. lies Old Upsala, where are three vast tumuli of the ancient legendary kings; and 4 miles SE. are the Mora stones, on which the old kings used to take the oaths of good governance.