Valladolid (Span. pron. Val-ya-do-leeth'), a fortified city of Spain, sometime capital of the whole country, and still capital of a province of Old Castile, stands on the Pisuerga's left bank, 150 miles NW. of Madrid by rail, and 2200 feet above sea-level. The Classical cathedral (1585) was never finished; the Dominican monastery, of which Torquemada was prior, is now a house of correction, and that of the Benedictines is a barrack. The university dates from 1346. The Scots College here was long the only seminary for the education of Scottish Catholics. There are some manufactures of silk, cotton, and woollen stuffs, iron, jewellery, hats, paper, perfumery, chemicals, gloves, etc. Pop. (1877) 52,206; (1905) 69,500. Valladolid, the Pincia of Ptolemy, appears as Vallisoletum in 1072. Charles V. erected many splendid edifices here, Valladolid being then the most prosperous city in Spain, with 100,000 inhabitants. Formerly capital of Castile and Leon, it was still the usual residence of the kings of Spain. In 1560, under Philip II. (who was born here), Madrid was declared the only court; and Valladolid thenceforth declined. In 1808 it was sacked by the French. - Area of province, 2930 sq. m.; pop. 278,560.