Ventnor

Vent'nor, the principal town on the south shore of the Isle of Wight, 11 miles by rail S. by W. of Ryde. Situated amid the finest of the fine scenery of the Undercliff, it has a southern exposure, well sheltered from the north, and so possesses a mild climate, suitable for invalids. Hence from a small fishing-hamlet it has grown since 1830 to a favourite watering-place, with an esplanade (1848), numerous hotels and lodging-houses, and the National Consumption Hospital (1872). The beach is composed of beautiful yellow shingle; and fossils abound in the vicinity. Pop. (1861) 3208; (1901) 5866.

Vera Cruz

Vera Cruz (Vayra Crooz or Crooth), the principal port of Mexico, on the E. coast, 263 miles by rail E. of the capital. A moist, hot, unhealthy place, with a cathedral, it was founded as Villa Nueva de la Vera Cruz (' New City of the True Cross') by Cortes in 1520. Pop. 29,000.

Vercelli

Vercelli (Ver-chel'lee), a town of N. Italy, 40 miles SW. of Milan, with a modern cathedral, and manufactures of machinery, candles, matches, soap, and musical instruments. Pop. 20,165.

Verd

Verd, Cape. See Cape Verd.

Verden

Ver'den, a town of Hanover, on the Aller near the Weser, 20 miles SE. of Bremen. Pop. 9850.

Verdun

Verdun (Ver-dung'), a fortified French town in dep. Meuse, 35 miles W. of Metz by rail. It has a cathedral, and manufactures iron, liqueurs, sweetmeats, leather, and beer. Pop. 13,100. The fortress has been often beseiged - in 1870 by the Germans for six weeks, when it capitulated.

Vere

Vere. See Campvere.

Verkhoyansk

Verkhoy'ansk, a small town (pop. 300) of Siberia, 400 miles NE. of Yakutsk.

Vermejo

Vermejo (Ver-may'ho). See Paraguay (river).

Vernon

Vernon (Vayr-nong'), a French town, on the Seine, 15 miles NW. of Mantes. Pop. 7960.

Vernon

Vernon, a town of Connecticut, 12 miles ENE. of Hartford. Pop. 8607.

Versecz

Versecz (Ver-shetz'), a Hungarian town, 45 miles S. of Temesvar by rail. Pop. 25,200.

Verulam

Ver'ulam. See St Albans.

Vervick

Vervick. See Werwicque.

Verviers

Verviers (Verv-yay'), a Belgian town, on the Vesdre, 15 miles ESE. of Liege. It is of recent growth, and depends almost wholly on its cloth manufactures. Pop. (1876) 37,828; (1900) 49,067.

Vervins

Vervins (Ver-vang'), a town (pop. 3150) in the French dep. of Aisne, 25 miles NE. of Laon.

Vesoul

Vesoul (Vezool'), capital of the French dep. Haute-Saone, 40 miles W. of Belfort. Pop. 8460.

Vesuvius

Vesu'vius, the most striking object seen from the Bay of Naples, a mountain (4206 feet) of dense tufa. The higher Apennine-offshoot, Monte Somma (anc. Mons Summanus), surrounds it on the N. and E. Vesuvius first (63 a.d.) became convulsed by earthquakes, repeated at intervals till 79, when its earliest known eruption occurred (see Pompeii). This was followed by others, as in 472, when its ashes alighted in Constantinople; in 512, when they were wafted to Tripoli; in 1036; in 1500; in 1631; in 1793; in 1822; in 1855; in 1861; in 1871-72; and in April 1906, when lava streams issued and ashes covered a large area, destroying two villages, and breaking down roofs in Naples. The fertility of the slopes of Vesuvius is proverbial, especially in wine. Its observatory (1844) is famous. The first funicular railway to near the summit was opened in 1880. See works by Prof. Phillips (1869) and Lobley (1889).