Vev'ay, or Vevey (Ger. Vivis), a Swiss town in the canton of Vaud, a lovely health-resort, on the N. shore of the Lake of Geneva, 11 miles E. of Lausanne. In St Martin's church (date 1498) Ludlow and Broughton, the regicides, are buried. Cigars are made and exported. Pop. 11,790.
Vezelay (Vay'ze-lay'), a small town (pop. 800) in the French dep. of Yonne, 5 miles SB. of Auxerre. Its abbey church was restored in 1868. Hither Becket retired in 1168; here St Bernard in 1145 preached the Crusade; and here Cœ;ur de Lion and Philip Augustus united their forces in 1190 for the third crusade. Beza was a native.
Via-Mala (Veea-Mah'la), a remarkable gorge in the Swiss canton of Grisons, on the course of the Farther Rhine. The roadway (1823) runs for 2 miles in half-open galleries or in a tunnel; the rock-walls on either hand rising to 1600 feet.
Viaregglo (Veeared'jo), an Italian health-resort on the Mediterranean, 15 miles NW. of Pisa by rail. Pop. 17,190.
Viat'ka. See Vyatka.
Viborg (i as ee), capital of a division of Finland, at the head of an inlet from the Gulf of Finland, 75 miles NW. of St Petersburg, with Transund, 8 miles distant, for its port. Pop. 33,000. - The Danish Viborg, 45 miles NW. of Aarhuus, has but 9100.
Vicenza,(Vee-chent'za; anc. Vicentia), an Italian city surrounded by a moat and half-ruined walls, 42 miles W. of Venice by rail. In the Piazza dei Signori, a remarkably fine square, is a slender campanile, 270 feet high. Palladio was a native; and Vicenza owes to him many fine buildings, as the prefect's palace. The Gothic Duomo was built in the 13th c. Silk, linen, earthenware, paper, and velvet are manufactured. Pop. 44,800.
Vich, or Vique (Veetch or Veekay), a Spanish city, 40 miles N. of Barcelona. Pop. 12,600.
Vichy (Vee-shee'), a town in the heart of France, dep. Allier, on the river Allier, 30 miles SSE. of Moulins by rail. It is the most frequented bathing-resort in France. The alkaline, acidulous springs (54°-113° F.) which rise at the foot of the volcanic mountains of Auvergne, are used both for drinking and bathing. Millions of bottles of Vichy water are exported annually. Its virtues were known in Roman times, as is testified by the remains of marble baths; its modern repute it owes to Napoleon III. Now this town of (1901) 14.050 inhabitants is visited yearly by 20,000 to 30,000 persons. See a work by Cormack (1887).
Vicksburg, the largest city of Mississippi, stands on a high, uneven bluff above the Mississippi River, 235 miles NNW. of New Orleans. Cotton is shipped, and railroad cars and iron are manufactured. The place was strongly fortified by the Confederates, but after a nine weeks' siege by land and water, surrendered on 4th July 1864, with nearly 30,000 men. Pop. 14,840.