Volterra Volterra (anc. Volaterrœ), a town 35 miles SW. of Pisa, with Etruscan remains. Pop. 7500.
Voronej, or Voronezh, capital of a Russian government (area, 25,443 sq. m.; pop. 2,546,260), on the right bank of the Voronej, 300 miles SE. of Moscow by rail. Pop. 81,150.
Vosges (Voazh; Ger. Vogesen), a range of mountains separating Alsace from the French deps. of Vosges and Meurthe and the German Lorraine, and lying partly in NE. France and W. Germany; highest summits, 4100-4677 feet.
Vosges, a mountainous dep. of NE. France, formed out of the south part of the old province of Lorraine, and bounded E. by German Alsace. Area, 2266 sq. m.; pop. (1901) 419,784.
Vryburg (Vriburg; meaning in Dutch 'Free town'), capital of British Bechuanaland, near a head-stream of the Vaal River, 145 miles N. of Kimberley by rail (1890). It has government buildings, churches, schools, hospitals, hotels, etc. Pop. 5000.
Vulcano (Vool-kah'no). See Lipari Islands.
Vultur'nus (mod. Volturno), a river of Campania, on which stood Vulturnum city.
Vyas'ma (y consonantal), a town of Russia, 110 miles ENE. of Smolensk by rail. Pop. 15,148.
Vyat'ka (y consonantal), capital of a Russian government (area, 59,117 sq. m.; pop. 3,005,795), on the river Vyatka, 280 miles NE. of Nijni-Novgorod. Pop. 24,998.
Vyernyi. See Semiretchinsk.
Vyrn'wy, a river which rises on the borders of Merioneth and Montgomery and joins the Severn 8 1/2 miles above Welshpool. In 1881-92 its upper waters were impounded for the water-supply of Liverpool, 68 miles off; creating an artificial lake of 1121 acres, 4| miles long by l 1/2 broad, and containing 2103 million cubic feet of water.