Waldeck (w as v), or Waldeck-Pyrmont, a small German principality controlled since 1867 by Prussia, consists of two parts, Waldeck, between Westphalia and Hesse-Nassau, and Pyr-mont, a patch between Lippe, Westphalia, Brunswick, and Hanover. The country is high-lying and poor. Total area, 438 sq. m.; pop. (1900) 57,918 - 8636 in Pyrmont. The capital is Arolsen (q.v.). Pyrmont, 15 miles E. of Detmold (pop. 1410), has famous mineral springs.
Walfish. See Walvisch.
Walla'chia. See Roumania.
Wallingford, a town of Berkshire, 15 miles NW. of Reading and 13 SSE. of Oxford, on the right bank of the Thames, which is crossed here by a bridge 300 yards long, built in 1809 at a cost of £14,000. It has Roman earthworks, a fragment of a Norman castle, which figured prominently in King Stephen's wars, and was taken by Fairfax and dismantled (1646); three - formerly thirteen - churches, in one of which Blackstone is buried; a grammar-school; a short branch-line; and a great July wool sale. A borough since Edward the Confessor's time, it returned two members till 1832, and then one till 1885. Pop. 2800. See works by Crofts (1870) and Hedges (2 vols. 1882).
Wallsend', a town of Northumberland noted for its collieries, 4 miles NE. of Newcastle. It is named from its being at the end of Hadrian's Wall (q.v.); and many Roman relics have been found here. Pop. (1901) 20,918.
Walmer Castle, in Kent, 2 miles S. of Deal, is the official residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports (q.v.), and is a round-towered castle, built by Henry VIII. It was the favourite residence and the death-place of the Duke of Wellington; and its relics of him, of Pitt, and of other Lord Wardens were in 1892 secured to the nation by the son of the late Right Hon. W. H. Smith. The adjoining town of Walmer is a favourite watering-place, has barracks, and is a member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich. Pop. 5650. See Elvin's Records of Walmer (1894).