Walsall (Waul'saul), a municipal, parliamentary, and county borough of Staffordshire, is situated on an eminence above a small feeder of the Tame, 8 miles NNW. of Birmingham, 6 E. of Wolverhampton, and 123 NW. of London. An ancient place, but of modern development, it stands on the edge of the South Staffordshire coalfield, and manufactures saddlers' ironmongery and all kinds of saddlery, carriages, iron and brass, leather, etc, whilst in the vicinity are coal-pits, limestone-quarries, and brickyards. The public buildings include an Italian Renaissance guildhall (1867), county court-house (1869). post-office (1879), public library (1859), grammar-school (1554; rebuilt 1850), and cottage hospital (1878); and in 1886 a statue was erected of ' Sister Dora' (Miss Pattison). Walsall was the scene in 1891-92 of an Anarchist conspiracy, for which four dynamiters were convicted. It became a.
municipal borough in Henry IV.'s reign; a parliamentary borough, returning one member, in 1832; and a county borough in 1888. Pop. (1851) 25,680; (1881) 54,402; (1901) 86,44a See Will-more's History of Walsall (1887).