Wal'singham, a small town of one long street and 1000 inhabitants in the north of Norfolk, 5 miles N. by E. of Fakenham. The ruined Augus-tinian priory (1016) contained a famous image of 'Our Lady of Walsingham.' Henry VIII. made the pilgrimage to it barefoot, and Erasmus' Pere-grinatio religionis ergo records his own visit.
Walsoken, a NE. suburb of Wisbeach.
Walton-on-the-Naze, an Essex watering-place, 7 miles S. of Harwich. Pop. 2014.
Walvisch Bay (Dutch, 'Bay of Whales'), anglicised as Walflsh or Walwich Bay, a territory of 480 sq. m. on the W. coast of Africa, 420 miles N. of the Orange River's mouth. Declared British in 1878, and annexed to Cape Colony in 1884, it is surrounded by German Damaraland. The bay affords a safe anchorage. Pop. 1020.
Wandsworth, a metropolitan borough of the city of London. Pop. (1901) 232,034.
Wanks. See Honduras.
Wansbeck. See Morpeth.
Wanstead, an Essex urban district, 7 miles NE. of London. Pop. (1901) 9179.
Wan'tage, a market-town of Berkshire, in the Vale of the White Horse, 26 miles W. of Reading. A steam tramway (1875), the first in England, and 2 1/2 miles long, connects it with Wantage Road station; and it has a good 14th-century church, a corn exchange (1865), a grammar-school (1597; rebuilt 1850), an Anglican home for penitents, and a marble statue (1877) of King Alfred, who was born here, by Count Gleichen. Bishop Butler was also a native. Wantage manufactures farm implements. Pop. 3850.
Wantsome. See Thanet.
Wapping, a Thames-side parish of E. London.
Ware, a market-town of Herts, on the Lea, 2 1/2 miles ENE. of Hertford. It has a fine cruciform church, remains of a priory (1233), great malting establishments, and memories of Godwin and 'John Gilpin.' St Edmund's Catholic College (1769), with a chapel of 1850 by Pugin, is at Old Hall Green, 5 miles NNE.; and the Great Bed of Ware was in 1869 removed to Rye House. Pop. (1851) 4882; (1901) 5573. See, for the college, a work by the Very Rev. B. Ward (1893).