Warsaw (Polish Warszawa), long the capital of Poland and now capital of a government of Russian Poland, stands on the Vistula's left bank, 330 miles E. of Berlin by rail and 700 SW. of St Petersburg. Two iron bridges lead to the suburb of Praga, on the opposite bank. Standing on a navigable river, with great railway lines to Moscow, St Petersburg, Vienna, Danzig, and Berlin, Warsaw is one of the most important cities of eastern Europe, being smaller only than St Petersburg and Moscow. Corn and flax are largely exported, and coal and manufactured goods imported. Warsaw itself manufactures electroplate, machinery, boots, woollens, pianos, carriages, tobacco, sugar, chemicals, beer, and spirits. Of over one hundred Catholic churches the cathedral of St John is the most notable; there are also six Greek churches, two Lutheran ones, and many synagogues. The castle is an imposing building, and there are many fine private palaces. The university, suppressed in 1832, was reopened in 1864, and has seventy-five professors (who teach in Russian) and over 1100 students. Pop. (1872) 276,000; (1905) 641,500. - Area of government, 5623 sq. m.; pop. 1,945,000.