Warwick (Wor'rick), the county town of Warwickshire, on the Avon, 21 miles SE. of Birmingham, 45 NNW. of Oxford, and 107 NW. of London. In spite of a great fire in 1694, it has preserved much of its mediaeval character, and, besides a good deal of antique domestic architecture, retains two of the old gates with chapels above their archways. St Mary's church is a large cruciform structure, largely rebuilt after that great fire, with a Norman crypt, the superb Beauchamp chapel (1464), and a wealth of interesting monuments. But Warwick's chief glory is its stately castle, on a rocky elevation, 40 feet high, overhanging the river. Ethelfleda, King Alfred's daughter, built a fortress here about 915; but the present edifice, which extends over 3 acres, is all of post-Conquest erection, its oldest portion the huge CAesar's Tower (147 feet high), whilst Guy's Tower (128 feet) was built in 1394. Having passed ere then, with the earldom of Warwick, to the Beauchamps, Nevilles, Planta-genets, Dudleys, and Riches, it had long been ruinous when in 1605 it was granted to Sir Fulke Greville, whose descendant, Lord Brooke, was in 1759 created Earl of Warwick, and who spent at least £20,000 in repairing and beautifying it. It stood a memorable siege by the royalists during the Great Rebellion, and its great hall was gutted by fire on 3d December 1871; but by 1876 the damage had been repaired at a cost of £18,000, and Warwick Castle is one of the few feudal residences still tenanted. Besides relics of Guy of Warwick, the 'King-maker,' and Cromwell, it has paintings by Van Dyck, Rubens, Holbein, and other masters, the 'Grimani table,' valued at £10,000, and the Greek ' Warwick vase,' 7 feet in diameter, from Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli. It has welcomed many royal visitors, as Queen Elizabeth, James I., William III., and (in 1892) the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York. The Leycester Hospital was founded in 1571 by Robert Dudley, Queen Elizabeth's favourite, for twelve poor brethren; the king's school (1546) occupies fine modern buildings erected at a cost of over £13,000. The manufactures include art furniture, gelatine, and agricultural implements. Landor was born here. Warwick, which was chartered by Henry VIII. as a municipal borough, lost one of its two members in 1885, when the parliamentary boundary was extended so as to take in Leamington (q.v.), the borough being called that of Warwick and Leamington. Pop. of mun. borough (1851) 10,973; (1901) 11,889; of parl. borough (1901) 39,075.