Warwickshire, a west midland county of England, bounded by the counties of Stafford, Derby, Leicester, Northampton, Oxford, Gloucester, and Worcester. It has an extreme length from N. to S. of 52 miles, an extreme breadth of 33 miles, and an area of 881 sq. m., or 563,946 acres. In the south are spurs of the Coteswolds, as the Edge Hills (826 feet); but elsewhere the surface is varied only by gentle undulations, formerly covered by the Forest of Arden. The Avon, flowing south-westward towards the Severn, is the principal river; but in the north is the Tame, a tributary of the Trent. A coalfield, 16 miles by 3, extends from near Coventry to the Staffordshire boundary east of Tamworth; and Warwickshire also produces some fireclay, ironstone, limestone, etc. About seven-eighths of the total area is in crops and permanent pasture; woods and plantations occupy nearly 21,000 acres. The great industries are noticed under Birmingham and Coventry; other towns are Warwick, Rugby, Leamington, Stratford-on-Avon, and Nuneaton. The county, which comprises four hundreds, 256 parishes with parts of seven others, and four parliamentary divisions, is mainly in the diocese of Worcester. The antiquities include a stone circle (the 'Rollright Stones'), Roman stations and roads, and a wealth of mediaeval remains, as Warwick and Kenilworth castles. The battlefield of Edgehill must also be noticed; whilst of Warwickshire worthies may be mentioned Shakespeare, Basker-ville, Samuel Butler, David Cox, Drayton, Dug-dale, ' George Eliot,' Landor, Dr Parr, and Priestley. Pop. (1801) 206,798; (1841) 401,703; (1881) 737,339; (1901) 897,678. See Dugdale's Antiquities of Warwickshire (1656; new ed. 2 vols. 1730), and histories by W. Smith (1830), West(1830), Burgess (1876 and 1893), and Timmins (1889).