Waterford, an Irish county of Munster, E. of Cork. Its greatest length from E. to W. is 52 miles; its breadth 28; and its area 721 sq. m., or 461,552 acres. The surface is mountainous, the chief ranges, Knockmeledown (2609 feet) and Cummeragh (2478). The Suir and Blackwater are the chief rivers. The climate is moist, and the soil much of it marshy; but the uplands are well suited for tillage, and the lower pasture-lands produce excellent butter. Lead, iron, copper, marble, and potter's clay are found. There are some cotton manufactures, and the fisheries are of some importance. The chief towns are Water-ford, Dungarvan, Tramore, Portlaw, and Lismore. Before 1885 the county and the boroughs returned five members; now the county sends two and Waterford city one. Pop. (1841) 196,187; (1901) 87,187 - 82,576 Catholics. The county is rich in Celtic, Danish, and Anglo-Norman antiquities.
Waterford, the county town, itself a county of a city and a municipal and parliamentary borough, is on the river Suir, at the head of the tidal estuary, Waterford Harbour, 97 miles SSW. of Dublin by rail. The city, on the Suir's right bank, is connected with its suburb of Ferry-bank by a wooden bridge of thirty-nine arches. The quay admits vessels of 2000 tons; there is a shipbuilding yard and clock on the Kilkenny bank; but the place has not a thriving look. The chief public buildings are the Protestant and R. C. cathedrals, the Protestant episcopal palace, the (Catholic) college of St John, the city and county court-houses, besides hospitals, etc. The chief trade is with England in the export of agricultural produce. Waterford is originally of Danish foundation, but in 1171 was taken by assault by Strongbow. It received a charter from John. Pop. (1881) 22,457; (1891) 21,693; and (1901) on extended area, 26,769 (of whom 24,571 were Catholics). See Ryland's History of Waterford (1824).