Wellington, (1) a market-town of Shropshire, 2 miles NE. of the conspicuous Wrekin (1320 feet) and 10 E. of Shrewsbury. It stood near the ancient Watling Street, hence its name 'Watling Town.' Situated in a populous mining and agricultural district, it has manufactures of farm implements, etc, an Italian town-hall built in 1867 at a cost of £10,000, and a corn exchange (1868). Pop. (1851) 3926; (1901) 6283. - (2) A market-town of Somerset, 7 miles SW. of Taunton, near the Tone and the foot of the Black Downs (900 feet), which were crowned in 1817 by a Wellington obelisk. The 'Great Duke' took for some unknown motive his titles from this place; and its manor (held formerly by King Alfred, Asser, Aldhelm, the Protector Somerset, the Pophams, etc.) was purchased for him in 1813. Serges and other woollen goods are manufactured. Pop. (1851) 4601; (1901) 7282. See Humphrey's History of Wellington (1890).
Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, on Port Nicholson, an inlet of Cook Strait, on the southern coast of the North Island, 150 miles by sea ENE. of Nelson. The fine harbour is 6 miles long and 5 broad. Wellington was settled in 1840, and after the removal of the seat of government hither in 1865 made rapid progress; it has good public buildings, including Government House, the Houses of Legislature, Anglican and R. C. cathedrals, a college, museum, etc. Amongst the industries are tanning, brewing, candle and soap works, boot-factories, meat-preserving, and shipbuilding. There is a public park, and the botanical gardens have an area of 100 acres. The suburb of Newton or South Wellington is connected by tramway. Pop. (1871) 13,488; (1901) 43,638, or with suburbs, 49,344.