Wen-chow (Wan-chau), a Chinese treaty port in Cheh-kiang province. Pop. 80,000.
Wener, Lake (Vayner), a lake of SW. Sweden, after Ladoga and Onega the largest in Europe. It is 93 miles long, 50 miles in greatest breadth, 300 feet in greatest depth, and 150 feet above sea-level; area, 2408 sq. m. From the NW. and S. shores, peninsulas project to within 15 miles of one another; the part SW. of this is called Dalbo Lake. There are many islands.
Wenlock, a municipal borough of Shropshire, extending over more than 50 sq. m., and comprising Much Wenlock, Broseley, Coalport, Madeley, Ironbridge, and Coalbrookdale. It was incorporated by Edward IV. in 1448, and till 1885 returned two members. Much Wenlock, under the NE. end of Wenlock Edge, 12 miles SE. of Shrewsbury, has a quaint guildhall (restored 1848), a market-hall (1879), a corn exchange (1852), a museum, and interesting remains of a Cluniac abbey. Pop. of borough (1861) 19,699; (1901) 15,866 - 2210 in Much Wenlock district.
Wentwood Forest, Monmouthshire, 4 1/2 miles SSE. of Usk.
Wentworth-Woodhouse, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 4| miles NW. of Rotherham, the seat of Earl Fitzwilliam, as its predecessor was of his great ancestor, the Earl of Strafford.
Weobly (Web'ly), a town, till 1832 a parl. borough, 12 1/2 miles NW. of Hereford. Pop. 804.
Werdau (Vayr-dow), a Saxon cloth-making town, 45 miles S. of Leipzig. Pop. 19,665.
Werwicque (Ver'veek), a Belgian town on the French frontier, with a 14th-c. church, and great tobacco manufacture. Pop. 9000.
Weser (Vay'zer), a river of Germany, formed at Munden by the Werra and Fulda, and flowing N. through Prussia, till, passing Bremen, it forms for 40 miles the boundary between Oldenburg and Prussia, and enters the North Sea by a wide but shallow estuary, after a course of 280 miles.